- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Neil Mitchell to Swimmers: 'You're sacked!'
Here is a message here to those elite swimmers who have behaved like idiots and yobbos.
The message is this: You’re sacked.
Go off and do something else like get a real job, try working for a living.
We must throw them out and that may cost us medals in the future, but too bad.
We subsidise these people, we fawn over them and look after them and even pay them money to swim. We call them heroes and admire them and cheer them. We invest our emotions and hopes in them because sport is a magnificent diversion.
But when they let us down, sack them.
The ability to swim doesn't excuse you from being an irresponsible idiot.
The ability to swim at an elite level and the chance to represent your country in fact puts the opposite onus on you.
The onus is to live up to an even higher standard.
What is alleged today is awful: a female swimmer Jade Nielsen says three memebrs of the 4x100 relay team behaved very inappropriately, they stormed in to the room of two female swimmers and behaved inappropriately.
She won’t say what happened but this seems to be part of their night of madness where they will admit taking stillnox and caffeine drinks for some type of high, then rampaging around the hotel.
That is bad enough.
This is before the Olympics and it is appalling behaviour. It is a breach of trust.
We must take a stand against drug madness and at the least intimidation of young women.
No matter how good they are, sack them.
We are talking about elite swimmers here: James Magnussen, Eamon Sullivan, James Roberts, Matt Targett, Cameron McEvoy, Tommaso D'orsogna and the team.
Magnussen was doing a paid interview for TV on this, at least that has been cancelled.
But seriously, the prescription drug lunacy was bad enough but whoever stormed into the room of the young women should damn near be charged and certainly thrown out.
And further more, Dawn Fraser is 100% right. Ban the lot of them for life and while we are at it, have a real clean-up.
Get rid of Nick D'Arcy.Greg Thursday 28 February, 2013 - 8:28 PM
Why do taxpayers have to pay these jerks to live, to play, to enjoy the best of everything and to disgrace the Nation.
I recall one of the swimmers on the Australian Team being very indignant and complaining that swimmers were not traveling Business class to the Olympics.
Its a nation disgrace that the taxpayer has no choice but to financially support these freeloaders.Ace Wednesday 27 February, 2013 - 6:36 PM
Big heads and inflated egos. But guys, in wearing the old DTs looks like a severe case of shrinkage!Ivan@kinnane Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:53 PM
A bit harsh Neil. Yes they behaved like idiots but (and I stand to be corrected) it was only the once - they weren't being idiots the whole time. I think they deserve another chance. I do also think though that they should have to contribute to their stay at the AIS similar to how people have to pay back HECS fees - and this applies to all who attend the AIS. Either that or we get back to free tertiary education - but thats another matter.John Monday 25 February, 2013 - 11:58 AM
tONY.....if you actually believe that sanitised, scripted, load of bullsh*t that swimming Australia trotted out yesterday, you are as green as grass !Sinbad Saturday 23 February, 2013 - 8:21 AM
A Sea of Talented swimmers with with years of sacrificed commitment only to lead by a pack of self gorging ticketed wankers.
Appoint me and i'll start by sacking the coach and work my way up. Heads have got to roll.Chris Friday 22 February, 2013 - 11:48 PM