- Bill's no-brainer: 'We're in this together'
- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Neil Mitchell's Holden Volt
NEIL MITCHELL: In the past 24 hours I’ve had a peep in to the future.
We are not quite there but this is a huge step.
I’ve been road testing an electric car that actually works.
It is not a hybrid, But it does have a petrol engine that charges the battery.
WATCH: Neil Mitchell testing the Holden Volt
It is the Holden Volt not released yet, due out next month.
And driving this is like a whole new experience, a quantum leap.
I’ve driven a lot of cars and you notice the technology change but it is still a traditional car.
This is another step again.
This is not a hybrid, it is an electric car and you plug it in to the socket at home.
But i tell you, you will need to change your habits as a pedestrian.
This morning, I frightened the living daylights out of a couple crossing against the lights.
They didn't hear me coming because this car is almost totally silent.
That is weird but I really think it is a quantum leap
Fun to drive, cheap to run, but not cheap:
PLAY: 3AW Motoring expert Chris De Fraga
How come no one can answer what the cost is to your household electricity bill.
Sounds like false enconomy to mepete Friday 26 October, 2012 - 9:36 AM
Whilst the Holden "Volt" is claimed to be an electric car and not a hybrid... it has a petrol engine... so it's a hybrid.
One could claim Diesel locomotives are also "electric" as they run diesel generators to power electric motors that drive the wheels... yet we call them "Diesel" locomotives.
Nothing new here... just another hybrid.
PS - Don't know why they don't just follow the tried and tested configuration of diesel locomotives on cars.Sam Wednesday 17 October, 2012 - 9:52 AM
Just a subsequent thought on safety for pedestrians: Could it be provided with noisy tyres??David T. Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 5:44 PM
As far as I am concerned, these are dangerous to pedestrians; overpriced for what is basically a General Motors quality car; takes far more out of the environment to build than any other type of car; is basically just a city car; and whilst the first few services are comparatively cheap, will finish up costing a fortune in battery replacement and other servicing (when a dealer can be found with the expertise). This type of car may temporarily excite the city "Green movement" with more money than sense. It does not excite me.David T. Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 5:19 PM
My only fear with this car is battery life. Home solar could be used to charge it so thats easy enough. But should the batterys need replacing by say the 2nd owner it could be a jaw dropping experience !John F Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 3:40 PM
What a great idea, powered by electricity so we can pay more Carbon Dioxide Tax to Julia. Give me a break!Milton Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 1:59 PM