- Calls to legalise marijuana
- ABC work-ethic 'shocking': Former manager
- 'It was something we didn't want to see'
- RSL apologises over Turban ban
- Australian Open in 16-year-old's sights
- RSL slams Crowe's comments
- Hackers target webcams
- Keep on holding on
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Paul on 'I don't deserve this' Solomons' Sword. You really think it happens that way. Your a joke.If your happy waiting 16mins for an Ambulance while ... more
- MikeO on 'I don't deserve this' Ambos need a pay rise but there many other people who need them too. I do not like people paid by the tax payer using their ... more
- Randal Woods on 'I don't deserve this' Solomon's Sword, you are obviously a moron. What ambo stands over patients, asking who they will vote for before they treat ... more
- Andrew on 'I don't deserve this' Advocating for patients is a professional trait and being outspoken is acceptable in that context. However, I'm not sure if ... more
- Solomons' Sword on 'I don't deserve this' Paramedic standing over a sick patient: "Who are you going to vote for" before deciding what treatment to administer...Some ... more
- Deffa on 'I don't deserve this' @ David, It is not the same deal. The potential labour offer is 12% over 2 years, Governmet offer is 12% over 3 yrs. There ... more
- Janelle on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? Looks like a 'Banjo Frog' to me. Found one in Greensborough. more
- Sam Maglitto on 'I don't deserve this' Over this Union lead Dispute, yes I think Ambos and Paramedics deserve a better deal, But using the Vehicles and their ... more
- Heather on 'I don't deserve this' Unbelievable!!! This story has just decided my vote! Thank you Louise for your service (ditto to all other paramedics) and ... more
- Anna Brown on 'I don't deserve this' Louise is an incredibly hard working & dedicated paramedic. Paramedics work long hours in what r often traumatic & ... more
- IBARKER on 'I don't deserve this' Wear the uniform ?? but not your political "VIEWS""" more
- Marsha on Photo: Cane toad in Melbourne? I had a look at some photos as I didn't think the feet looked like a cane toad. Thanks for the Pobblebonk name - feet are ... more
- Lukew on 'I don't deserve this' The ambulance service should not be political and I think the disciplinary action for using the uniform to promote a ... more
- David on 'I don't deserve this' They were offered the same deal they said Labor offered and they would accept.. This is another example of Union thugs ... more
- Peggy on 'I don't deserve this' If she wants to make it personal then she should protest. Even if in uniform she can protest but to represent her employer ... more
- The quiet 'medic on 'I don't deserve this' Not mentioned here is that wearing our uniform for union actions outside of work is covered under protected industrial ... more
- Mark Cornford on 'I don't deserve this' It's getting to the stage that the Ambo's will soon ask if you are Liberal or Labour and if you are not what they support ... more
- Kylie on 'I don't deserve this' This gives one some insight into the bullying culture ambos cop under Ambulance Victoria. They treat ambos like utter ... more
- Kris on 'I don't deserve this' Yeah it seems pathetic but if it is policy you knew about it and you broke the rules then you should get punished for it. more
- Angry Ambo on 'I don't deserve this' This is yet another example of Ambulance Victoria's adversarial management approach toward their employees. They ... more
Neil Mitchell's Holden Volt
NEIL MITCHELL: In the past 24 hours I’ve had a peep in to the future.
We are not quite there but this is a huge step.
I’ve been road testing an electric car that actually works.
It is not a hybrid, But it does have a petrol engine that charges the battery.
WATCH: Neil Mitchell testing the Holden Volt
It is the Holden Volt not released yet, due out next month.
And driving this is like a whole new experience, a quantum leap.
I’ve driven a lot of cars and you notice the technology change but it is still a traditional car.
This is another step again.
This is not a hybrid, it is an electric car and you plug it in to the socket at home.
But i tell you, you will need to change your habits as a pedestrian.
This morning, I frightened the living daylights out of a couple crossing against the lights.
They didn't hear me coming because this car is almost totally silent.
That is weird but I really think it is a quantum leap
Fun to drive, cheap to run, but not cheap:
PLAY: 3AW Motoring expert Chris De Fraga
How come no one can answer what the cost is to your household electricity bill.
Sounds like false enconomy to mepete Friday 26 October, 2012 - 9:36 AM
Whilst the Holden "Volt" is claimed to be an electric car and not a hybrid... it has a petrol engine... so it's a hybrid.
One could claim Diesel locomotives are also "electric" as they run diesel generators to power electric motors that drive the wheels... yet we call them "Diesel" locomotives.
Nothing new here... just another hybrid.
PS - Don't know why they don't just follow the tried and tested configuration of diesel locomotives on cars.Sam Wednesday 17 October, 2012 - 9:52 AM
Just a subsequent thought on safety for pedestrians: Could it be provided with noisy tyres??David T. Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 5:44 PM
As far as I am concerned, these are dangerous to pedestrians; overpriced for what is basically a General Motors quality car; takes far more out of the environment to build than any other type of car; is basically just a city car; and whilst the first few services are comparatively cheap, will finish up costing a fortune in battery replacement and other servicing (when a dealer can be found with the expertise). This type of car may temporarily excite the city "Green movement" with more money than sense. It does not excite me.David T. Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 5:19 PM
My only fear with this car is battery life. Home solar could be used to charge it so thats easy enough. But should the batterys need replacing by say the 2nd owner it could be a jaw dropping experience !John F Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 3:40 PM
What a great idea, powered by electricity so we can pay more Carbon Dioxide Tax to Julia. Give me a break!Milton Tuesday 16 October, 2012 - 1:59 PM