- Hird has made correct call: Former legal advisor
- 'No one in the system gets justice'
- Niqab is not a 'symbol of evil'
- Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices
- 'An unsettled China is unsettling for Australia'
- David Davis denies Greg Sassella dispute
- Plan B: 'We have no choice'
- The Leaning Tower of Stupidity
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Michelle on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Alas, I remember the day when our lovely cleaning ladies, wiped the desks weekly, cleaned the bathrooms properly, spot ... more
- Sarah M on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Part of me is smiling and part of me is crying. The innocence of a child in stark contrast to the corruption of a country. ... more
- Gazza on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices @debsWell why are people on the so called minimum wage not lining up to be cleaners?.because $24 ph is insulting for a ... more
- Karen on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Let's see = $24 an hour x 4hrs x 5 days = $479, ooops! my maths is not too good.I work 8 hours a day and get slightly less ... more
- LNoolan on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Naaaa! Lazy bludgers are taking the square in Hong Kong just as they do here. Nasty contagious diease can only bring nasty ... more
- David R on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Thats close to the minimum wage factoring in casual rates and night shift loading. more
- michael on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Even toilets! What's next?The sewer system? Why not!Maybe then we will send the tourists to have a trip to the red dirt for ... more
- Julie Loncar. on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... This little girl sings a powerful message, not only for China, but for all of the world.The message is about people power. more
- binary-zero on Niqab is not a 'symbol of evil' As I muslim, I've repeatdely said this that Niqaab is not an Islamic thing - It's a cultural thing from Arab/Afghanistan ... more
- John Duff on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Why don't we leave it to the Children like that to be the world leaders. us adults aren't doing a very good job more
- Debs on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices $24 per hour??? That's not a bad rate. That's more than the minimum wage. I'm sure there are a lot of people working out ... more
- Linda Pettit on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Lets hope that this songbird reaches the masses and that there is a peaceful acknowledgement that some things in China need ... more
- Edward on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Well done as it doesn't hurt to let people know how others feel in these times more
- judy wilson on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... just beautiful more
- mylene on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Tony Abbott hasn't mentioned Hong Kong yet. It's obviously not a very important story. :p more
- poppitt on Plan B: 'We have no choice' If you have debt you pay interest. The more debt the more interest. Why is it people do not want to pay the debt? Do they ... more
- Lukew on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The attack on that poor Muslim woman was appalling and would be roundly detested by most people. However, the Moreland ... more
- brendon on 'Something needs to be done about this' total moron !!!!! more
- Frances on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... HOW ON EARTH WAS SOMEONE LIKE SUE BOLTON EVEN ELECTED INTO BECOMING COUNCILLOR??? MAKING MASSIVE ACCUSATIONS OF PEOPLE ... more
- PJ on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Four things need to happen to solve the problem:1.The continued expansion and growing influence of ISIS/ISIL needs to be ... more
Prime Minister Julia Gillard may well have sealed her own fate
Image: Julia Gillard on Sky News (Sky)
On an obscure, barely-watched pay TV program yesterday, Julia Gillard may well have sealed her own fate.
She may well have finally ended any hope she has of leading the government into the next election.
I have spoken today to some of her supporters and they are very concerned.
They believe what happened yesterday on television, combined with a new opinion poll tomorrow, could well provide the finals straws that leave the camel not just with a broken back, but out of the game.
Yesterday the Prime Minister was rattled and unimpressive.
She personally attacked one of the most respected and experienced political journalists.
Paul Kelly of the Australian Newspaper.
And she was completely wrong in what she accused him of doing.
She accused him of being a puppet of asking questions on behalf of somebody else
That is offensive and wrong. She didn’t look like a leader. She didn’t look in control.
She didn’t look capable of handling any sort of crisis
My sources tell me the Labor caucus is already very, very nervous.
And this performance, if it is backed up by another bad opinion poll due out tomorrow, could be the end.
Now nobody knows what is in that poll of course.
But this is what happened yesterday...
She was on Sky, being interviewed by Paul Kelly
He raised with her a report from the Australian newspaper on Saturday.
This all goes to a messy problem with corruption in a union, going back 17 years.
Julia Gillard’s then boyfriend, a man called Bruce Wilson, was accused of siphoning funds into an account he set up in the name of the union.
That is the accusation. Julia Gillard set up the account, she was union solicitor, he was a union official.
She also attended an auction where a house was bought from funds from that account.
And she has strongly and consistency denied any wrong doing.
She says she was naïve…. So guilty of professional incompetence, not illegal behaviour.
She strongly denies that.
On Saturday a former partner of the form Slater and Gordon claimed she had left Slater and Gordon because of an inquiry into the events.
Now she didn’t answer, and there is no doubt she left Slater and Gordon soon after this all happened.
Slater and Gordon have released a statement now supporting her in careful language.
They say they found nothing that contradicted her denials and that she had left for other reasons.
Ok…fair enough. But Julia Gillard must answer that as well.
She can’t refuse to answer and she did yesterday
This is a nasty little campaign, it is building online, she needs to deal with it.
She needs to handle it like a leader and she has had many opportunities to do that but she has not.
Of course Kelly was right to ask the question
Her integrity is relevant even from something that happened 17-years ago.
The integrity of a Prime Minister is always relevant.
This is building online and several people in the finance and banking industry have now asked me about it within a few days.
The word is spreading, it is perhaps unfair but it must be dealt with.
I am not alleging that Julia Gillard was corrupt. There is no evidence of that.
I am saying she was incompetent as a solicitor but that is not a hanging offence
Yesterday she kept saying to Paul Kelly ‘If you have allegations put them to me’.
Well. This is what she needs to answer.
One - when did she become aware of the funds in this account were stolen and what did she do about it, then did she find out she had been conned and what did she do about it.
Did she tell the union? The Police? What did she do when she found her boyfriend had been conning her?
Two - when did she decide to leave Slater and Gordon and why?
Three - can she show that none of these suspect funds were used for her personal gain (including to renovate her house)?
Four - she has allegedly said to Slater and Gordon this was set up as a slush fund. When did she understand that?
And did she advise corporate authorities of that at any stage.
Five - when she attended the auction of the house was she aware the association she had established for her boyfriend was being sued to purchase it? Did she ask why?
Look, there are more questions; this is just the starting point. It goes to the detail but in the broad sense what she needs to address is this.
She said to Paul Kelly – ‘what is the allegation’? Well… this is it in a very general sense.
Prime Minister, the allegation is that you may have acted improperly.
You deny it. Nobody knows.
But you won’t answer the detail that keeps coming up.
There are now serious concerns around what happened in those days and it involves around $400,000.
Those doubts go to the heart of your integrity.
You keep asking why you should answer questions.
Well, you should answer questions because your integrity has, rightly or wrongly, come under a cloud.
Public confidence demands answers
Public perceptions demand answers
You can’t just have a blanket denial. You can’t just leave it to the law firm
You are Prime Minister, that demands an extra level of accountability.
You must answer the specific problems yourself.
By now…. I imagine the Prime Minister knows what I know. She handled yesterday’s questions very, very badly,
It could in the end be the final straw that costs her the leadership.
GILLARD & AWU SCANDAL: Political cartoonist Larry Pickering has caused a stir with his soap opera-type stories which Derryn Hinch has described as akin to ‘Days of Our Lives’, forecasting the end of Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
Have to say after the sports minister was on tv last night I believe that this whole sports in drugs is largely a govt. beat up to distract people from the incomptence of this govt,Rob Stone Tuesday 12 February, 2013 - 9:15 AM
wow that so mean
she is sexycate Tuesday 20 November, 2012 - 3:30 PM
Where there is smoke there is fire!!!!
I googled the information regarding Gillard/Slater & Gordon many years before Pickering and his Website discussed Gillards attachment to the left wing Slater & Gordon Lawyers!ggofoz Sunday 11 November, 2012 - 9:13 AM
I dont vote Labor, but what a charismatic man Barak Obama is. He presents as strong, believable, out to make changes for the better, doest have red hair, and does not live in a defacto relationship with a nobody.
There is hope!!!wilson Thursday 8 November, 2012 - 11:53 AM
Ms Gillard sealed her fate the day she went back on her election promise and announced she was bringing in a carbon tax. As far as I'm concerned she not only sealed her fate, she died.Mal Bourne Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 8:06 PM
On child sex abuse and the catholic church Julia there needs to be a royal commission!The problem is ongoing and victims and their family need justice. I was director of'towards healing' for 2 years. Please bring these perpetrators to account. Thanks Julia .Paula Buckland Saturday 27 October, 2012 - 3:51 PM