- Murdered Moonee Ponds man's possible link to Transfield
- Punting heartbreak: Family 'loses' $400k
- Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade
- Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' horror
- Fuel discount ban will save prices
- Gay couple marry despite expected challenge
- Qantas ads 'political spin'
- Christmas cheer for young Rhyan
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Peter Jeffries on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... So registering bicycles will prevent road rage too? If we start registering bikes now, no child will be living in poverty by ... more
- Visionary on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... This stupid woman should of been charged with dangerous driving for doing an illegal u turn and nearly killing the cyclist. more
- richard on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Rachel Wilson should have been aware not to do an unsafe U-turn and, the cyclist should have blasted her but didn't need to ... more
- Mark on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Cyclists and drivers alike ignore red lights on both pedestrian crossings in Black Rock - the sooner we get registration for ... more
- Lisa on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Horrified to hear, at 3:17 today, "Drive's" commentator say that "Australia doesn't support 'premeditated' violence against ... more
- andrew on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... She almost ran him over which could have killed him. No one should be punched, but why isn't the driver being ... more
- Lee on Ticket inspector body-slams teen girl Why are people defending a violent fare evader? I don't care how old someone is or what gender they are. If you respond ... more
- Nick on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Some idiot does a (probably) illegal U-turn almost killing someone in the process and then gets upset when they go berserk. ... more
- Peter Hollister on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade Neil you should be ashamed airing this rubbish.Did 3AW actually check the story before airing. Darren you seem to be lying ... more
- Dee on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... I'm tired of people saying 'this has nothing to do with cyclists' etc. The fact that cyclists are unregistered and ... more
- PJ on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... NAZI Cyclists are totally out of control along Beach Road.I was about to organise my friends parents out of the car, pathway ... more
- Troy on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade i think youll find this smart meter guy was on Darrens property, unannounced. He has every right to ask him what he is doing ... more
- Victoria on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade This is unacceptable these power companies need to be held accountable, where is our Democracy? people being bullied and ... more
- Cheryl on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade You nosey little fool Darren. No doubt this installer was on his neighbours property and you were interferring with his ... more
- Lukew on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... This has nothing to do with bikes or cyclists, this is to do with some moron with anger management issues, acting in a ... more
- james on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Cyclists regularly disobey red lights, turning signals and when it suits them are more then happy to ride on the footpath. I ... more
- A Falkingham on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Licence these idiots and register their bicycles NOW more
- Steve on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade Darren was lucky not be decked by the half smart installer>. more
- Steve on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... It's up to the state government to make bike rego compulsory nothing to do with who leads the country, but some dim wits ... more
- Warren on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... It's a shame that there is no footage from the cyclists perspective, he probably was nearly killed. Sounds like she did an ... more
Royal prank tragedy: "The buck stops with the boss"
NEIL MITCHELL: First this outrage around 2Day FM. The prank call to the hospital and the suicide of the nurse caught in it.
This is so sad for everybody but particularly the woman’s family.
But…. Let’s get this straight. What happened would not happen in talk radio.
It would not happen here, at the ABC, Alan Jones wouldn’t do it.
LISTEN BELOW: CEO of Southern Cross Austereo Rhys Holleran speaks with Neil Mitchell.
The problem here is that FM is effectively covered by different rules and operates in a different world. Or at least some of it does.
I have legal advice, open to argument I am sure, that 2-Day fm did not breach any radio guidelines. Certainly they believe that.
The codes of conduct are unequivocal on talk radio.
Code 6.1 says you cannot broadcast material unless the person recorded knows about it.
You can’t put somebody to air unless they know they are on air.
That is under the headline ‘Interviews and talkback programs’. So is a prank call an interview?
It certainly wasn’t a talk back program.
They are covered by the light entertainment section, Code 9, and you could drive a truck through that.
So they may be OK under radio law however I think they have problems under surveillance and recording devices law.
Which says you can record another person when you are part of their conversation but not replay it without approval from them.
But look there is a broader point here. These two presenters. They should not wear it all.
The focus is all on the two DJ’s Mel Greig & Michael Christian.
That I suspect is wrong. Yes...they did do something stupid. But who takes responsibility?
Normal process is that these things are pre-recorded and replayed.
So who approved it going to air? These two are very junior presenters.
There is no way they would have made the decision to put it to air
Was it a senior producer? Was it a program director? Imagine if they pre-recorded this?
It was a world scoop – ‘the ultimate prank’. They would have been be so delighted. They would be running around telling everybody
So who knew? Who approved it? And why are these two wearing all the blame?
The buck stops with the boss.
It was never funny, it was plain disrespectful to invade the royals privacy. It should never have gone to air without the permission of those involved. There should have been more 'royal security' to screen any calls. A lot of people are to blame here. Finally public pranks should never be allowed on innocent unsuspecting people, worse still someone you dont even know.margy Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 1:55 PM
I keep hearing Rhys Holleran claim that 2DayFM tried to call the Hospital five times prior to the 'prank' being aired! Am I such a sceptic? Do I believe this? Can these 'attempts' be proved? Time for Telsta or whoever to come out and prove this statement. Freedom Of Information? Somehow we must be able to validate Mr Hollaran's claim! ...Can we believe this radio CEO? Can I ask for confirmation of these attempts, please Mr Holloran...knowing how you have in the past claimed to be a bit baffled by community standards of 'decency' I am not sure that you and I have the same 'code of ethics' when it comes to telling the truth! Evidence of your attempts to contact, please Sir. As well, "trying' to get through (however many times!) does not constitute "getting through and receiving permission". Keep spinning, Rhys..we are not fooled!Roz2911 Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 12:27 PM
Rhys Holleran has been making excuses, avoiding truths, refusing to change the culture at 2day for far too long. This guy needs to go and the other management - has anyone asked Derek Bargwanna if he was involved - need to step up. I feel for these two presenters, they did what was expected of them, they worked in an environment that endorses exploitation, humiliation, bullying and so on.
Rhys Holleran needs to man up and take it on the chin - he needs to go! And the other management involved need to be outed for their role. Spotlight should be on management who surely did not follow 'those processes.
To say that this was unforseable is hardly accurate. You play with fire and eventually you or someone you are dealing with is going to get burnt.Kate Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 10:12 AM
CEO and the two morons should be fired and everyone ought to boycott the station AND any and all companies that advertise on it until that happens.Robert Carreira Tuesday 11 December, 2012 - 4:12 AM
Its so obvious that Mr Holleran has been speaking to his lawyers. Everything he said on radio has loaded with legal-speak "nobody could have foreseen the circumstances", "couldn't reasonably think it foreseeable". Tally the number of times he uses the words "reasonably foreseeable". Mr Holleran is more concerned about legal liability than anything else. puke!law guy Monday 10 December, 2012 - 10:48 PM
Absolutely agree the fault lies with the station bosses who OKd this and the hospital for not having any protocols in place to deal with calls re Kates' condition and care. Or even the royals themselves for not having a PR person to deal with these sort of calls, no matter who they claimed to be.GIW Monday 10 December, 2012 - 7:49 PM