- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
'School invaded my daughter's rights'
A mother is furious that a teacher shaved her teenage daughter's armpits in front of the class as part of the school's "life skills" program.
Melissa Woods said 14-year-old Taylah came home "extremely upset" after being made to shave and told she "will get picked on" if her underarms are hairy.
Wangaratta District Specialist School said that lessons on personal care are part of the curriculum, but Ms Woods said she never gave permission for her daughter to be physically shaved.
"I spoke to the teacher the very next day and she told me she has the right to do it, it's part of the curriculum," Ms Woods said.
LISTEN IN FULL: Melissa Woods speaks to 3AW Mornings
"I wasn't satisfied with that so I went to the principal and sent her a letter. She wrote back saying... she regrets that they didn't have a permission slip for me to sign."
Ms Woods told Neil Mitchell her daughter has a condition called microcephaly, a neurodevelopmental disorder, as well as ADHD. She added that Taylah has in the past expressed apprehension towards shaving.
"She's seen me do it and she's told me before this happened that 'I don't want to do it'," she said.
"I said to her: 'That's fine. I have no problems with it. You come to me when you're ready.'
"But when the school did it I thought, 'No, that's invading her rights as a person to decided whether she wants to get it done or not.'"
Ms Woods said a practical demonstration was unnecessary as "at 14, she hardly had any hair there anyway".
Neil Mitchell said this kind of behaviour from the school "was from another era".
LISTEN IN FULL: Melissa Woods speaks to 3AW Mornings
When my son was at special school they did have life skills lessons which included learning to shave for boys too...I dont recall them actually shaving anyone tho.They used paddle pop sticks I believe. Young adults with learning challenges do need to understand their body is changing and personal hygiene can be a big problem with kids who have disabilities...it was meant as a lesson like washing hands and toileting. We had to sign consent forms and at NO time were the kids embarrased or singled out. This is terrible and the school MUST explain!karen wilson Friday 30 May, 2014 - 9:23 AM
How utterly stupid is this so called 'teacher'. It never ceases to amaze me the number of abject freaks that become teachers. It is little wonder the minds of their pupils are in a mess indeed.Keith A Tudor Friday 30 May, 2014 - 8:05 AM
Would any teacher in a "conventional" school ever do this?
I doubt it.Helen Tyack Friday 30 May, 2014 - 7:52 AM
This teacher has well and truly over stepped the mark this is assault . Three words
Slatter and Gordon !John Friday 30 May, 2014 - 12:56 AM
I have never responded on line to any comments before but How dare they? I can't describe my anger and disbelief that a female is maligned for having natural pubic hair no matter what her age, lets shave all the males out there and see the reaction. Give us a break we are adults not figments of pedophilia imagination, ohh I am so angry that a school has these views.narelle Thursday 29 May, 2014 - 7:51 PM
Wow what venous bile you people are spewing !
What a storm in a teacup. You are treating this teacher like a war criminal! Let's sue! Seriously !!
I'm glad you lot are not in charge of solving the worlds problems. Mrs woods said herself "we don't have a great relationship with the school anyway" I work in mental health . I would not like to imagine the current mental state of the teacher after reading your well reasoned and measured respond to a non issue , by the way that last bit id sarcasm!
Well done keyboard warriors!Shane Thursday 29 May, 2014 - 7:15 PM