- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Serious questions about the decency & culpability of the Catholic Church
There are now deeply serious allegations and questions across much of Australia about the decency, morality and culpability of the Catholic Church.
This has now reached a point where it needs to be taken up a notch.
In Victoria, we know the Police believe the Church has deliberately frustrated attempts to investigate paedophile priests.
The Victoria Police made this point: if a child is abused by a stranger in a Church, the Police are called, but if a child is abused by a priest, it is covered up and the Police aren’t told.
Now in New South Wales, a senior Police officer alleges the same thing. He says there has been evidence destroyed, priests under suspicion protected and cover ups.
He says it reaches to very high levels in the Church, and when he started to get to the heart of the investigation he was taken off the case.
His name is Detective Chief Inspector Peter Fox, so he is no junior officer. This is some of what he told ABC television about the cover ups by the Church:
”The greatest frustration is that there is so much power and organisation behind the scenes that Police don’t have the powers to go in and seize documents and have them disclose things to us.”
”I have definite information of some covering up, certainly to a number of diocese bishops. It potentially goes even higher than that.”
Victoria Police say the same thing.
Now this is what is happening. In New South Wales, they say it is a matter for Police, and in Victoria we have a piddling little inquiry run by a few backbenchers in the parliament.
That is wrong. Deeply wrong.
It continues the appearance of cover ups. The politicians must be taken out of this. It must become a federal issue. It must become Julia Gillard’s problem.
We need judges overseeing this. We need full powers for those judges, not politicians, we need forensic examination of what has happened, who is culpable, and whether the Church is trying at all to fix this.
We need a Royal Commission, a Federal Commission, and that commission needs to subpoena and put on their stand everybody from Archbishop George Pell down.
We need these people in the box, under oath, questioned by skilled barristers. Nowhere to hide or evade.
No moral authority, just simple truth is what we want. This must be done now.
It covers more than half the country, it needs to be federal. The state governments have proved they are not up for it.
We have had Royal Commissions, Federal Royal Commissions on grain storage, insurance and rental of accommodation.
This is far more important. This demands a Federal Royal Commission with full powers to establish the extent of the conspiracy to cover up.
This is now Julia Gillard’s problem and this gives her a chance to show strong leadership. She is keen to protect women and stand up for women.
Fair enough. It’s time to stand up for the kids.
Neil Mitchell , your words "the Police arenâ??t told." about child abuse by priests says a lot, but sadly, about the bad advice the victims seem to be given by the organisations that are supposed to be fighting for them. I think that the Police and the Church should both be involved when it comes to religious paedophiles, preferably the police first. When no action seems to be taken, or done very slowly when the Church is contacted first, why, in seemingly a lot of cases, don't the victims then go down the road to the Police station to report the crime, and see the judicial side of justice move faster than the religious? The answer came a few days ago when a spokesman for Broken rites when asked about the secrecy of the confessional said that it was a non-issue. "The real issue is when victims or their families complain about abuse, the church authorities fail to arrange an interview between the victim and police." WE WANT TO REPORT A CRIME
BUT THOSE CONNECTED WITH THE CRIMINAL WON'T COME TO THE POLICE STATION TO INTRODUCE US, SO WE CAN"T REPORT THE CRIME! Get real!! No, not you Mitchell, Broken Rites.John of Sydney Friday 16 November, 2012 - 8:23 PM
I can't believe the number of peope who are defending the catholic church and these filthy priests and the hierachy that are still covering it up.Willow Monday 12 November, 2012 - 11:52 AM
Mitchell's Usual anti-Catholic Bias, the ones who are anti-Catholic are the paedophiles within the Church hierarchy. At least, in terms of breaching the teachings of the Church's founder.Ajax Monday 12 November, 2012 - 10:40 AM
I want every single paedophile to be brought forward - the government and all its institutions they covered up, orphanages, aborigines -- open the lid on ALL of it, not just the catholic church. Disgraceful through the years, every one knew but no one said a word --- Hypocrites..cherry Monday 12 November, 2012 - 8:12 AM
I do not understand where some Police Officers get their facts from. It has been extreme media attention lately ,including a Senior detective interview : That every time members of the force moved in on these pedophiles They were told by higher authorities to surrender files and move on
This could only come from the Government.
]Judges even stopped proceedings declaring it was not in the public interest Some people have long memoriesDominic Lombardo Monday 12 November, 2012 - 6:47 AM
For those defending the paedophile priests and brothers you are pigs for those that actually believe in a god of any religion you are illogical fools.Cheryl Friday 9 November, 2012 - 9:40 PM