- Bill's no-brainer: 'We're in this together'
- 'It's very little time for taking a life'
- Kennett: 'This is sheer incompetence'
- Ice driving killer verdict 'not adequate'
- Good idea or just rubbish?
- 'It's complex': Mayor defends slow Sydney Rd CCTV installation
- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Aaaa on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... It doesn't set a good example does it! Just proves how easily anyone can get away with a situation like this. They are ... more
- Lukew on Ice driving killer verdict 'not ... What would be enough? more
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
Slush Fund Scandal: 'This week it will come to a head'
NEIL MITCHELL: Julia Gillard and the slush fund scandal....Do you care?
Is this a media obsession or something that really goes to the heart of the integrity of the Prime Minister and the government?
Does it matter? Your views are crucial here. You can leave your comments below.
Now regardless of that it is coming to a head. It will be a bruising week in federal parliament.
Now there are problems here.
One: it is complex.
Two: it is a long time ago 19 years
Three: There are crooks everywhere all giving different versions of events.
And Four: it is so muddied by politics.
Who knows what is happening?
It is important to say at once the Prime Minister insists there has been no wrong doing on her part and there is no proof that there has been.
There are however many questions she has not answered and will not answer.
The opposition is hinting it has something fresh to chase in the parliament this week.
And the government is claiming it is all over...Case closed.
Well... I don’t know what, if anything, the opposition has.
But I do know the case is not closed and it is absurd to say so.
There are two dodgy characters in the middle of this, both former union officials.
One is Bruce Wilson - Julia Gillard’s boyfriend of four years and a man who ripped thousands out of union funds.
The other is his former mate and bagman Ralph Blewitt.
At the weekend Blewitt said the PM had questions to answer.
Wayne Swan said he was a crook and shouldn’t be taken seriously.
Then Wilson publicly said the PM knew nothing of what went on and the Minister lined up to say he was right.
Now hang on... How does that work?
How can Blewitt’s evidence be unreliable because he was a crook then reliable when he was an even bigger crook?
That is political spin and nonsense and when you have ministers saying it is all over, finished, done when it clearly isn’t, it makes everybody edgy. Everybody suspicious.
Look it was a long time ago.
The PM was a solicitor, she helped set up what turned out to be a dodgy slush fund and there are real reasons to ask why she didn’t inform the authorities more quickly when she found out it was dodgy.
She left her legal firm after this, perhaps under a cloud.
She has also not answered to the $5000 cash Wilson put in her personal account.
And there are many other questions about what she knew and whether she has been entirely frank in her answers since. That is what matters.
The final point to this as a modern and current political issue: She is handling it badly.
She has been heaving media behind the scenes while saying nothing publicly.
It has all damaged the government and there is no question there are several ministers who say she must put an end to it. And she must.
She tried before and but more information has come up since then.
Now Blewitt has spoken to Victoria Police and I think it is inevitable they will reopen the case.
West Australian police are also interested.
This will drag on into the New Year, an election year, and the sooner the pm answers the questions the sooner she ends this defence of silence.
It will better for everybody because we can get on with what really matters.
Things like living costs, jobs, power prices and our kids.
Is public concern building over the PM and the slush fund or is it simply a media obsession?— Neil Mitchell (@3AWNeilMitchell) November 23, 2012
SLUSH FUND: Julia Gillard has expressed her frustration at constant questioning about her time as a lawyer 20-years ago. Derryn Hinch spoke with Deputy Opposition Leader Julie Bishop about the allegations.
TENSIONS FLARE: A discussion on the Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s involvement in the AWU scandal between Shadow Treasurer Joe Hockey and Workplace Relations and Employment Minister Bill Shorten has evoked ire on the Neil Mitchell program.
Yes it is very important. My vote has changed away from the ALP because of all the rotting. Australians deserve better, and we must not be lied to.Swinging voter Thursday 14 March, 2013 - 11:42 AM
Why doesn't she answer Julie Bishop's questions with a YES or NO?
It looks more and more like she is probably hiding something.
This is important and there needs to be a statement made by the PM to Parliament.
Anything less either is or at the very least looks to be dodgy and incriminating.Bill Wall Tuesday 27 November, 2012 - 12:53 PM
There should be a Royal Commission into this Slush Fund. I do not believe Julis Gillard at all, you don't forget someone gave you $5000? Also Julia Gillard would have lefted Slater & Gordon so they wouldn't sack her. Finish with her ex boyfriend Bruce Wilson, because Gillard wanted to go into Politics & being caught up in a scandal or sacked would not help her get into Politics. Gillard wants this to go away, that is for sure.Elisa Tuesday 27 November, 2012 - 7:38 AM
She (Gillard) can't remember if somebody deposited $5000 into her account? Ahh the spoils of the rich. It must be so hard. As for the Coalition, well they are out to smear and damage because they have nothing else that is working for them. The ceiling didn't cave in with the carbon tax, and all the other scares have failed. But really between Labor and the Coalition it's a race to the bottom. Both are as bad as each other, with only varying degrees. The losers, are the people of Australia.Greg Tuesday 27 November, 2012 - 2:10 AM
Well Julia, if you lie down with dogs dear, you get fleas. A 4 year relationship is a lot of fleas! And 'birds of a feather do flock together'! Hard to believe that the little Ms Gillard we have all become to know was ever naive and so very gullible - 'INN-O-CENT, I am INN-O-CENT' the woman now wails. Mmmm -'where there's smoke there's fire'! 'Bring on the elections' - I'm begging you!Cathy Monday 26 November, 2012 - 9:33 PM
Hmmm. The proofs are clearly there that this obstinate, fool of a woman is an inveterate liar and a cheat. The evidence is there with th carbon dioxide taxation rort and the pretend so called defacto joker she has living in the so called Lodge - nomenclature which will be changed to the Black House. I am utterly disgusted with this liar of a woman. I look forward to her being booted with a vengeance, if not by the defunct labor party then by us disgusted voters. F OFF gillard you liar and cheat.Justin J James Monday 26 November, 2012 - 8:37 PM