- 'Blame the tradie, not contestants'
- Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of welfare'
- Classic or crazy? Cazaly re-made
- Australia in for 'long haul' against ISIS
- George the Goldfish saved with surgery
- 'Players leave': Gillon gives it straight to Bombers caller
- Horrified children find pet dogs mauled in backyard
- 'Drugs war unwinnable, time to legalise'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Gazza on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... The yanks spend billions on the biggest and baddest weapons,time to use them all,now. more
- Steve on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... One of your most most stupid statements so far mylyene! more
- Jane on Lambie: 'Strip Sharia supporters of ... Well this is one thing i agree with. Tired of tip-toeing on this issue. There are not hundreds of Muslims that support ... more
- Linda on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Christine Milne is as big a threat to our national security as groups like ISIS. Even the tiniest chink in our political ... more
- GIW on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Yes Mylene, that is the aim of Islam to take over the world. As a caller on the Sunday Morning show yesterdays said, there ... more
- mylene on Australia in for 'long haul' against ... Don't worry in a couple of years we'll be trading with ISIS and the Taliban and anyone who mentions the war will be shouted ... more
- Jeff on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... As parents of young kids i cannot believe Essendon has put James Hird back in as coach, Hird should have nothing to do with ... more
- Stephen on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... Doesn't know a lot really does he! Including if the Bombers took anything illeagal!AFL Another Fool Leader. more
- Diane on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... How silly to have a coaches meeting when there are finals on and other coaches are having their reviews. more
- Jimbob on 'Players leave': Gillon gives it ... I wonder what the risk factor is for those other clubs attempting to poach essendong starts caught in this. If the worst ... more
- Mel on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Our neighbours also have a fox terrier & it's one of the most aggressive & unsocialised dogs I have seen! Has prevented us ... more
- Wayne on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... to wendy who wrote "Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this ... more
- Sam Maglitto on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... I heard this report on the radio this afternoon and being a Dog Lover I was horrified to think there are other owners who ... more
- wendy on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Perhaps the dogs that did the killings were Miniature Pit Bulls rather than Fox Terriers? Surely this would get peoples ... more
- Stephanie on Horrified children find pet dogs mauled ... Such a tragedy for all involved. more
- Robert on 'PM's popularity between asbestos and ... But when he opposes public transport, his ratings suffer. His being so good at opposing things, particularly public ... more
- jgl Melb on 'If Ashby is right, Pyne should quit' Christopher Pyne;Verbal gymnast extraordinaire...Putting it politely more
- Colin Lacivita on Phone scam targets grieving widow I always get emails promising me money. I don't care who they are I always send a email back warning that their contact ... more
- David R on Council backs down over fees Typical heartless unthinking council bureaucrats. And its not the Councillors its the people manning the front desk or the ... more
- mike on Labor's tough new stance against 'evil' So trafficking drugs away from a school is less illegal?And why drug busses? Target pubs/clubs! I hear more and more people ... more
The Catholic Church: an organisation damned
Today the Catholic Church is in disgrace.
Not for what it did years ago, but for what it is doing now. Today, and as recently as three years ago.
Today it is alleged by Victoria Police that the Church is presiding over a culture of secrecy and institutional dishonesty that is frustrating and side stepping the law, and aggravating the pain of victims abused by priests.
The Church itself is worsening the abuse, and there is more to come.
Many, many more cases and many more victims are yet to come forward. And they are recent – not 80-year-old men and women – recent abuse.
Not yet reported, a surge of cases are expected from the 1990s and 2000s, cases that will be reported of people abused by the Catholic Clergy.
And you what know, the Catholic Church is worse than any other religious organisation. It has failed in an obscene and spectacular fashion.
We are on the verge here of something extremely significant, because in my view the Victoria Police have now drawn a very definite line in the sand. They have decided enough is enough. They have decided formally, at the highest level, to take on the Catholic Church.
Chief Commissioner Ken Lay is driving it, and he knows what trouble is ahead. But if ever there was a man committed to fairness, decency and the rights of victims, it is him. What he is doing here may well define our new Chief Commissioner.
As of today, Victoria should be very proud of what the Police are doing, because they are standing up to an organisation that is not used to being challenged.
Today is just the beginning, but I believe and hope this will be a turning point for victims, for decency and for the vast majority of priests and Catholics who are appalled by what has happened. And what is happening.
Today, I really hope is the beginning of the end of the cover up and the protection of pedophiles.
Today, I hope, is a huge step towards making everybody equal before the law; to make everybody accountable – even priests and the Catholic Church. The day that happens will be a great day for Victoria and victims.
This morning I read through the Police submission to the state inquiry into the investigation of child abuse and handling of it by religious authorities.
I’ll give you some key points direct from the Police and Chief Commissioner Ken Lay.
Most victims of religious abuse are from the Catholic Church – only small numbers elsewhere. There is no sign the abuse has dropped off.
The police expect a surge of cases of abuse in the 1990s and 2000s will surface in the years ahead, and they’re being frustrated by the Church in their attempts to track and prosecute pedophiles.
The Church machinery, ‘Melbourne Response’, has not referred one case to Police.
Under the Church system, the church gets legal representation – the victim does not.
The Church is paying victims to avoid criminal action against Priests. The Church is promotion a culture of secrecy around the victims and accused.
Police have been lied to and misled by Church administration. The Church has tipped off accused priests and that may have led to evidence being destroyed.
That is perverting justice, and it has happened as recently as three years ago.
The Church has moved accused priests around the system and more children have been abused as a result.
Action should be taken against those in the hierarchy of the Church who have hidden evidence, and one of the most damning claims from Victoria Police:
”Victoria Police has highlighted a number of deliberate actions by the Catholic Church which arguably have been taken to impede or conceal investigations.”
The Police want to make that a criminal act. So, the Church has covered up abuse, intimidated victims, protected priests and has worsened their abuse.
Now in the religious world, they tell me you should not judge people. To Hell with that. I will not judge an individual here, but I will judge an organisation.
It is an organisation with many decent people, but on this evidence, it is an organisation damned.
If you are a Catholic, will you please, please stand up against this. Most priests and most Catholics are enormously decent people.
Please stand against this culture of secrecy and self-protection which has hurt children.
A religious organisation has put itself ahead of the children, and the children have suffered because of it.
CHURCH SEX ABUSE: Victoria Police have attacked the Catholic Church for deliberately impeding its investigations into paedophilia and child abuse within its organization in a submission to a parliamentary inquiry.
The Catholic Church should be disbanded. It has always been, and always will be, an organisation of deceit. It is a disgrace to humanity and should be outlawed. How could members of this organisation remain members after what we have seen and heard. Have some decency before you die and live your life on truth. Don't be gutless wonders. Respect the privilege you were given to this life and become your own light. You don't need this organisation to tell you how to live!!!!!!Adrian Kelly Monday 27 May, 2013 - 7:02 PM
We need to get rid of Pell immediately and put Father Dillon in his position. Then we might actually get some answers and move ahead.V Mills Wednesday 14 November, 2012 - 10:04 PM
Julia Gillard, we the public of Australia are demanding a Royal Commission.Ashley Nevin Saturday 10 November, 2012 - 9:02 AM
If so many priests are good people, why do they join an organization that is so corrupt to the core right up to the top. Does that not make them guilty by association, when the crimes are that widespread and proven with more to come?John Friday 9 November, 2012 - 4:02 PM
"Most victims of religious abuse are from the Catholic Church â?? only small numbers elsewhere."
...because, as the submission itself suggests: "There may be a number of reasons for this: including its size and establishment in the Australian community together with its involvement in the Victorian education system in the last 50 years."
didn't mention that rather significant qualifier, did you? Are you as arms-length from this very important discussion as you purport to be?Hugh Monday 15 October, 2012 - 12:30 AM
Yes, the time has arrived for th Catholic Church to accept married, widowed men to be priests. It is utterly stupid having this collective serial induction process of only single men becoming priests. What utter bullshit it all is and hence the rotten damned rats nest! I say change the culture by changing the qualifications for joining the priesthood with married men given the 1st choice for appointment to the priesthood.. They will not learn these dopes.Luigi T Cassimatis B.Ec. Sunday 14 October, 2012 - 9:40 PM