- WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full responsibility for 'dirty mess'
- 'He was left lying in a pool of blood'
- Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers
- Woman disgusted over 'death' plate
- Man dealt outrageous parking fee
- Neil Mitchell hits back at Clementine Ford's 'leathery ball' column
- Can you read Neil's writing? We can't
- AFL boss unsure about odd timeslot
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colin Lacivita on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate This is unforgivable. The driver of this vehicle should be exposed so we can see who he really is. He should not be allowed ... more
- IBARKER on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Poppitt ?? Where are you for out thou. more
- Liz on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers If they stop sending all our jobs overseas. There would be plenty avail.If they leave call centre jobs in Australia there ... more
- poppitt on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers I see the unemployed every day where I work. They can afford to work, they can afford to look clean and respectable. The ... more
- colin on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate What a thoughtful reply Sinbad. Who is Amanda?Alzheimer's already? Hmmm. more
- Peggy on Woman disgusted over 'death' plate How brave of this racist.How long would his number plate and car stay intact if he wrote death to all Palesteninan militants ... more
- Stephen on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... OH Mr Andrews you were so adamnt as well that Labor had nothing to do with it. Labor from top to bottom rotten to the core!! more
- Peggy on Work for the dole 'unfair' on jobseekers Can the unemployed afford to work for 25 hours a week?The cost of suitable clothing, petrol and all other expenses with ... more
- Catherine on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Daniel Andrews and is mob can't trust them they are liars and most of all they are not fit to govern Victoria. more
- poppitt on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Let me make it clear Labour Party had nothing to do with this. This is disgraceful that someone would come out and say we ... more
- Kellie on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Daniel Andrews quick to point the finger at others. I do believe he knows how it got out dirty tricks what would you ... more
- Dallas on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... It seems to me the only way to get to the truth of what happened with the recording the journalist lost is to find out who ... more
- David T. on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... Andrews said that as the leader, he "accepted responsibility". He qualified this by adding: "for investigating the matter". ... more
- henry porter on WATCH: Daniel Andrews takes full ... I caught some re-runs of "Fawlty Towers" last night - Daniels Andrews' stories sounded as if the had come straight out of ... more
- Hooksy of the Bush on Melbourne's most successful camera Do the crime, pay the fine!!! more
- Ros on Can you read Neil's writing? We can't I could read it Neil. The word 'fox' gave it away but you left out the word 'brown' before dogLove your shows more
- DEBBIE on Can you read Neil's writing? We can't I cannot read it all except the first word, "hello". more
- Michelle on Melbourne's most successful camera The problem is, the speed zones change over time and if you are not a regular traveller in the area, you don't realise it ... more
- michael on Melbourne's most successful camera So let's see, 7,500 drivers speeding through this highly dangerous fatality prone area and not one incident ? makes you ... more
- martin on Melbourne's most successful camera if got pinged on this camera..i was at dead stop ay red lights on barkly street. first in line..and apparently was speeding ... more
'We don't teach drivers properly, and this survey says so'
We have a leaked copy of something that could set the template for road safety in Victoria. This could drive and effect exactly what the policy is.
The state government has been mucking around with road safety. The road toll has been climbing and we have awful figures for October.
The ‘Arrive Alive’ strategy expired and wasn’t replaced.
Now, almost two years in to its term of office, perhaps the government is getting ready to act. Let’s see.
In this leaked copy of the report on the biggest survey of community attitudes run around the road toll, there are a few surprises. For example, one of the major problems on the roads according to this is texting while driving, and the majority believe the penalities for testing need to be tougher.
Older drivers are also a worry. People are concerned by older drivers who are beyond driving. There is also strong support for tougher penalties on hooning.
And guess what the main issue, the top of the top ten issues concerning people is: driver education. The main issue is to increase young driver awareness of road safety risks.
That ties to driver training to me. Defensive driver training, better driver training – something I’ve been campaigning for now for probably 15 years.
We don’t teach drivers properly, and this survey says so. Because you know.
There’s very little support for a night curfew for young drivers, but drug driving is seen as a big issue. The TAC sponsorship of sport is seen as a waste of money.
I believe the government has been dragging its feet on road safety, and I know some senior Police share that view.
So now the government has been told by you, what happens? What does it do? What should it do?
Well to start, it’s time to get serious; enough mucking around. The road toll matters to every citizen and it’s time to act.
People need to be taught how to drive a car,not just how to pass a test.They need to be shown what trucks can and cant do,braking ect,as a truck driver I see this every day and I am getting sick and tired of the stupidity of car drivers causing near misses and accidents everyday.The police need to be more visible on the roads and enforce every road law(keeping to the left)When a car passes 3 to 4 cars up an emergency lane and then me in my truck at night and then proceeds to merge in to the left lane but she didnt relise that she wasnt passed me,hits the side of my truck spins around and I pushed her up the road sideways,when the police arrive they tell me there will be no report made as no one was hurt.Now if I did that in my truck as what the car driver did I would hate to think what I would be charged with.This sort of stupidity happens every day neil and is getting worse,people need to know that if you play in front of a moving truck there is a very good chance that you will be DEAD end of story.Is it really worth getting home 20 seconds earlier because the majority of the time your behind that same car at the next set of lightscorey Saturday 24 November, 2012 - 10:06 PM
A driver's attitude towards road safety is formed from their understanding of the hazards and techniques to defend agaianst them. Defensive driving is about knowledge, attitude and skill and should be part of licencing not just the ability to move off, steer and stop in accordance with road rules. Why not have the nationally acredited road safety skill set as a pre requisite to going for a licence?Justin Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 7:28 AM
I'm a young driver recently off my probationary license. Several months ago I completed a defensive drivers course with AAMI that was offered for free as I have full comprehensive cover, it is also offered to young drivers who have full comp with them. I believe the course offered a practical way to learn about speed, emergency braking and a safe breaking distance. They also covered driver attitudes and decision making in regards to a whole range of situations. I also learnt about tyre pressure and tread. As a young driver I've strongly recommended the course to friends and family. I believe it should be something you complete either as part of the later stages of the learner period, or as soon as the probationary license is obtained. Not a bad idea to complete a refresher courses either. People seem to forget they are driving a dangerous piece of machinery, not a bumper car.Rose Tuesday 30 October, 2012 - 9:45 PM
why cant new cars and all trucks have speed limiters in them its so simple....
people go over the speed limmit all the time neil why dont you get up from the chair and get a raddar and do a experiment on speeding motoriststeve Friday 26 October, 2012 - 7:04 PM
the government likes people speeding so its gets revenue. All they have do is get police cars on the road and people will start to behave, behind the wheel and start booking motorist from police cars at the moment people think they can go as fast as they wantdavid Friday 26 October, 2012 - 6:58 PM
october is the start of daylight savings maybe why so many accidents on roads during this month. .hoddo Thursday 25 October, 2012 - 10:14 PM