- Greenpeace Grinches: Outrageous 'fake Santa' video
- Boy suspended for kissing girl's hand
- 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou a liar'
- Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous'
- 'Indian leaders must stand up for Australia'
- Father wants dog put down after attack
- Analogue TV switch-off
- Murdered Moonee Ponds man's possible link to Transfield
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Tony on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... I Agree Neil."a yearâ??s holiday on full pay."Where is the penalty in that?? more
- glenn on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Gee you can see who the Essendon supporters are,why don't you all look outside your red and black bubble and admit that ... more
- Aditya on 'Indian leaders must stand up for ... As an Indian immigrant, this line resonates very strongly with me, "This is a fair country. It has some idiots, but mostly ... more
- Aditya on 'Indian leaders must stand up for ... As an Indian immigrant into this beautiful country, I absolutely agree with the above. In seven and a half years in ... more
- mandy on Boy suspended for kissing girl's hand Omg reporting a 6 yr old boy to police and the child being suspended this can't be true.Of course its America. more
- Peggy on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... So many cyclists here are complaining about bad drivers. I agree, there are a lot of bad drivers out there but there is one ... more
- mandy on 'Indian leaders must stand up for ... Australia has been extremely generous to Indians and other nationalitys and has given them every opportunity to enrich their ... more
- Martin Kelly on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... THis is what happens when people step outside the system.ASADA has a very legitimate role to play and the AFL does not.ASADA ... more
- Peggy on Father wants dog put down after attack Typical, people let dogs supervise their kids rather than them having to do it.Why is any child left alone with a dog? How ... more
- Sheldon on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Why pick on Tania? Why not pick on Andrew for lying and misleading us? more
- JamesD on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... What was the AFL supposed to do? Let Essendon continue - play in finals -ignore everything. A negotiated settlement was ... more
- peter on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Lovely stuff the tit for tat continues. All this shows is how incompetent the AFL are in the handling of this matter and ... more
- lawyer verbalising crap on Mum tells of Black Rock 'bike rage' ... Think sideways, even out of the square, JGL. So far all you have done in your mediocre efforts to contribute on a myriad of ... more
- Jester4212 on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade @Roseagain. The SMART Meters communicate using low power RF electrical transmissions. Similar to that of your mobile ... more
- Jake on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... It is perfectly understandable why Tania is speaking out. Poor maligned James undoubtedly reached a soft deal with the AFL ... more
- Clarity on Labor deal with Pies is 'ridiculous' We are looking for a grant to purchase a property for the establishment of a refuge for victims of domestic violence. It is ... more
- colin on Smart Meter installer unleashes tirade I wonder what all the real advantages of having a smart meter are. Is there a documented list provided by the electricity ... more
- Gloria on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... If you believe that Hird had nothing to do with the EFC supplement experiment, whether they were banned drugs or not, you ... more
- Willow on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Bulldust, Hird gaGged so the mIssus is now sticking up for him, as of course she would. Hird is complicit in an organised ... more
- Christine on 'Tania Hird is calling Andrew Demetriou ... Hold on Neil, the EFC has been gagged and bullied, good on his wife for speaking out. There are always 2 sides to the story ... more
'We don't teach drivers properly, and this survey says so'
We have a leaked copy of something that could set the template for road safety in Victoria. This could drive and effect exactly what the policy is.
The state government has been mucking around with road safety. The road toll has been climbing and we have awful figures for October.
The ‘Arrive Alive’ strategy expired and wasn’t replaced.
Now, almost two years in to its term of office, perhaps the government is getting ready to act. Let’s see.
In this leaked copy of the report on the biggest survey of community attitudes run around the road toll, there are a few surprises. For example, one of the major problems on the roads according to this is texting while driving, and the majority believe the penalities for testing need to be tougher.
Older drivers are also a worry. People are concerned by older drivers who are beyond driving. There is also strong support for tougher penalties on hooning.
And guess what the main issue, the top of the top ten issues concerning people is: driver education. The main issue is to increase young driver awareness of road safety risks.
That ties to driver training to me. Defensive driver training, better driver training – something I’ve been campaigning for now for probably 15 years.
We don’t teach drivers properly, and this survey says so. Because you know.
There’s very little support for a night curfew for young drivers, but drug driving is seen as a big issue. The TAC sponsorship of sport is seen as a waste of money.
I believe the government has been dragging its feet on road safety, and I know some senior Police share that view.
So now the government has been told by you, what happens? What does it do? What should it do?
Well to start, it’s time to get serious; enough mucking around. The road toll matters to every citizen and it’s time to act.
People need to be taught how to drive a car,not just how to pass a test.They need to be shown what trucks can and cant do,braking ect,as a truck driver I see this every day and I am getting sick and tired of the stupidity of car drivers causing near misses and accidents everyday.The police need to be more visible on the roads and enforce every road law(keeping to the left)When a car passes 3 to 4 cars up an emergency lane and then me in my truck at night and then proceeds to merge in to the left lane but she didnt relise that she wasnt passed me,hits the side of my truck spins around and I pushed her up the road sideways,when the police arrive they tell me there will be no report made as no one was hurt.Now if I did that in my truck as what the car driver did I would hate to think what I would be charged with.This sort of stupidity happens every day neil and is getting worse,people need to know that if you play in front of a moving truck there is a very good chance that you will be DEAD end of story.Is it really worth getting home 20 seconds earlier because the majority of the time your behind that same car at the next set of lightscorey Saturday 24 November, 2012 - 10:06 PM
A driver's attitude towards road safety is formed from their understanding of the hazards and techniques to defend agaianst them. Defensive driving is about knowledge, attitude and skill and should be part of licencing not just the ability to move off, steer and stop in accordance with road rules. Why not have the nationally acredited road safety skill set as a pre requisite to going for a licence?Justin Tuesday 13 November, 2012 - 7:28 AM
I'm a young driver recently off my probationary license. Several months ago I completed a defensive drivers course with AAMI that was offered for free as I have full comprehensive cover, it is also offered to young drivers who have full comp with them. I believe the course offered a practical way to learn about speed, emergency braking and a safe breaking distance. They also covered driver attitudes and decision making in regards to a whole range of situations. I also learnt about tyre pressure and tread. As a young driver I've strongly recommended the course to friends and family. I believe it should be something you complete either as part of the later stages of the learner period, or as soon as the probationary license is obtained. Not a bad idea to complete a refresher courses either. People seem to forget they are driving a dangerous piece of machinery, not a bumper car.Rose Tuesday 30 October, 2012 - 9:45 PM
why cant new cars and all trucks have speed limiters in them its so simple....
people go over the speed limmit all the time neil why dont you get up from the chair and get a raddar and do a experiment on speeding motoriststeve Friday 26 October, 2012 - 7:04 PM
the government likes people speeding so its gets revenue. All they have do is get police cars on the road and people will start to behave, behind the wheel and start booking motorist from police cars at the moment people think they can go as fast as they wantdavid Friday 26 October, 2012 - 6:58 PM
october is the start of daylight savings maybe why so many accidents on roads during this month. .hoddo Thursday 25 October, 2012 - 10:14 PM