- Should kids sit on Santa's lap?
- Cardiac scare at Melbourne hospital
- 'It always happens at this time of year'
- The Greens' role in Tony Abbott's new year resolution
- 'It's not a good look'
- Thieves target helpless veteran
- Have an extra merry Christmas, says Joe
- 'Insensitive' Lambie interrupts Hughes tributes
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Colin Lacivita on Dank set to spill beans at tribunal So Stephan Dank is finally ready to talk, that's only because ASADA is in a mess now and they are going to be thrown out of ... more
- poppitt on Dank set to spill beans at tribunal and if it does collapse they cant give Essendon back two seasons, but will they make a public apology to James Hird. Will ... more
- Pj on Tip-off: Abbott's $3b to stay in Vic Destined for Union boss pockets then more
- Christine on 'I have lots of things to build' Spend, spend, spend, spend, spend, spend, that is Labor. EVERY time Labor is in they put the State finances into deficit, ... more
- Willow on 'I have lots of things to build' Yep @dee, the Unions will take hold and massive cost blowouts will occur such as was with the desal plant and Myki. THE ... more
- Joanne on 'I have lots of things to build' The East West link was estimated at $17 billion dollar. The West Link has been estimated at $10 billion.This is one of ... more
- Stephen on 'I have lots of things to build' So basically stuff all you hardworking people in the Western suburbs!!! more
- Gazza on 'I have lots of things to build' Great interview,Dan is the man.... more
- dee on 'I have lots of things to build' Lots of things to build with huge cost blowouts. Wait and see. more
- Mike Genge on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking The guy who shot this film needs a life, The poilce are hard working and are under pressure regardless where he parks to ... more
- Suzanne Bowtell on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Policemans actions are perhaps not a good luck. But what an arrogant, disrespectful twit the antagonistic filmer is. He's ... more
- garry robinson on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking This clown is nothing but a smartarse. Lack of respect is this county's biggest problem. Is the rear window open on the car ... more
- andy on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking This guy filming has some balls to talk this way to an officer to begin with, this is the trouble their is no respect for ... more
- Noel Hynes on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking To the person who recorded this video. "You are a complete and utter KNOB... "Wake up to yourself"... and "Show some respect ... more
- Joy tanti on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking I have no problem with this officer parking there as he is on duty at all times so if he got the call the car is there next ... more
- Dave on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Give us a break moron. Hardest job in the world, smart Alec's always filming everything cops do 24/7. Ten years ago the fool ... more
- ramin on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Keep up the good work guys, what I see here is police out being human and interacting with the community and at the same ... more
- Mariah on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Cudos to the guy ratting out that police officer. He is NOT above the law. He should be setting an example!! He should be ... more
- David Blackburn on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking The guy filming that is a loser.He'd have something to say if he needed urgent police attention and they'd parked their car ... more
- Wayne on Cop filmed, taunted for illegal parking Stupid guy. the officer needs to eat& be as close to his car as possible incase he needs to move quickly to save you're life! more
You and I would never be so lucky
He’s a lucky man Heath Scotland, the Carlton footballer.
We are all supposedly equal before the law. Perhaps not if you are an AFL footballer.
Heath Scotland was in Court yesterday after a nasty pub brawl up at Mulwala in New South Wales. He could have been jailed for up to five years.
He wasn’t. He got a two-year bond. No conviction.
Three other men involved in the brawl had been fined and convicted. Not Heath, despite a bad history.
But the thing that really grates here is that the Magistrate even used his AFL career as a reason for the lenient decision.
According to the Herald Sun, the Magistrate Tony Murray said Scotland could be fined by Carlton and suspended and that a conviction may stop him flying overseas with the team.
Well, so bloody what?
Any person convicted of anything has implications in their workplace. If I was convicted of high-level drunk driving I’d probably lose my job.
But if I was guilty, I should be convicted. Heath Scotland was not. And the Magistrate as good as said it was because he is an AFL player.
But what is worse, Heath Scotland has been in court before. It was widely reported, and I have the file from Channel Nine and the Herald Sun.
He was in Court for slapping a woman in a nightclub toilet after being charged back in 2006, six years ago, for recklessly causing injury and unlawful assault.
Again then, no conviction recorded.
He paid $3000 to Beyond Blue, wrote to Police apologising and went on a diversion program – worked well!
In that case, the Magistrate said he had been provoked. But he slapped a woman.
He’s a lucky man, Heath Scotland. Two Magistrates being generous to him, to cases of violence, no conviction.
And you know the other theme through this. Not only is he an AFL player. In both cases, he has said he wants to be a fire fighter, and a conviction could end that.
Well, if he keeps going like this, the fire brigade won’t want him.
He’s a very, very lucky man. You and I would never be so lucky.
SCOT FREE: Six years after being told by a Magistrate that he would ‘only get this opportunity once’, Carlton footballer Heath Scotland has escaped conviction to an assault charge after pleading that his firefighting career ambitions would be derailed.
Magistrates and Judges spend their early careers as court lawyers, rubbing shoulders, if not being actual mates, with lawyers like Bernie Balmer, pictured above, who was Scotland's mouthpiece in court.
There's a culture of understanding between these law professionals. Scotland's non conviction demonstrates the culture of the bar is alive and well in Victoria.Rumpole Thursday 11 October, 2012 - 9:09 AM
he didn't get convicted cause the other guy king hit him first that's what the judge said butthe media only wants to report what they want heath did not king hit the judge said so media stop reporting that he didbill Wednesday 10 October, 2012 - 2:11 PM
Its not fair. AFL players get away with everything. How many times have they been accused of rape etc and how many times have they gone to jail?Ric Flair Wednesday 10 October, 2012 - 10:54 AM
This man is a thug, he bashed someone and slapped a woman. What a complete joke the system is, for once I agree with Neil, the MFB should not want him anywhere near them, and yes, didn't that diversion program just work a treat! What hypocrisy that the other men involved were convicted...should have been footy players! What is the matter with this country, it disgusts me that the football have their own judiciary system there is no hope for the human species. One can only hope that perhaps next time he bashes one of the judges' relatives and that might give them some realistic perspective!Wendy Wednesday 10 October, 2012 - 10:32 AM
The Magistrate also considered Scotland's community work. And the reason these types do "community work"? So as their mouthpiece can regale the court with the altruistic,selfless work ethic of their community minded client and then and only then if the beak is gullible enough to tumble in to this ubiquitious pocket pi--ing exercise we then end up with another insult to the collective intellect of the unwashed plebs out here in, we can only hope land.Hope that we come up in front of the same wet pocketed fool when or if we transgress.jgl Melb Wednesday 10 October, 2012 - 10:22 AM