- Hird has made correct call: Former legal advisor
- 'No one in the system gets justice'
- Niqab is not a 'symbol of evil'
- Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices
- 'An unsettled China is unsettling for Australia'
- David Davis denies Greg Sassella dispute
- Plan B: 'We have no choice'
- The Leaning Tower of Stupidity
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Michelle on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Alas, I remember the day when our lovely cleaning ladies, wiped the desks weekly, cleaned the bathrooms properly, spot ... more
- Sarah M on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Part of me is smiling and part of me is crying. The innocence of a child in stark contrast to the corruption of a country. ... more
- Gazza on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices @debsWell why are people on the so called minimum wage not lining up to be cleaners?.because $24 ph is insulting for a ... more
- Karen on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Let's see = $24 an hour x 4hrs x 5 days = $479, ooops! my maths is not too good.I work 8 hours a day and get slightly less ... more
- LNoolan on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Naaaa! Lazy bludgers are taking the square in Hong Kong just as they do here. Nasty contagious diease can only bring nasty ... more
- David R on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Thats close to the minimum wage factoring in casual rates and night shift loading. more
- michael on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices Even toilets! What's next?The sewer system? Why not!Maybe then we will send the tourists to have a trip to the red dirt for ... more
- Julie Loncar. on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... This little girl sings a powerful message, not only for China, but for all of the world.The message is about people power. more
- binary-zero on Niqab is not a 'symbol of evil' As I muslim, I've repeatdely said this that Niqaab is not an Islamic thing - It's a cultural thing from Arab/Afghanistan ... more
- John Duff on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Why don't we leave it to the Children like that to be the world leaders. us adults aren't doing a very good job more
- Debs on Toilet-cleaning ban in CBD offices $24 per hour??? That's not a bad rate. That's more than the minimum wage. I'm sure there are a lot of people working out ... more
- Linda Pettit on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Lets hope that this songbird reaches the masses and that there is a peaceful acknowledgement that some things in China need ... more
- Edward on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Well done as it doesn't hurt to let people know how others feel in these times more
- judy wilson on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... just beautiful more
- mylene on 'An unsettled China is unsettling for ... Tony Abbott hasn't mentioned Hong Kong yet. It's obviously not a very important story. :p more
- poppitt on Plan B: 'We have no choice' If you have debt you pay interest. The more debt the more interest. Why is it people do not want to pay the debt? Do they ... more
- Lukew on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... The attack on that poor Muslim woman was appalling and would be roundly detested by most people. However, the Moreland ... more
- brendon on 'Something needs to be done about this' total moron !!!!! more
- Frances on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... HOW ON EARTH WAS SOMEONE LIKE SUE BOLTON EVEN ELECTED INTO BECOMING COUNCILLOR??? MAKING MASSIVE ACCUSATIONS OF PEOPLE ... more
- PJ on 'You're responsible': Socialist ... Four things need to happen to solve the problem:1.The continued expansion and growing influence of ISIS/ISIL needs to be ... more
Your ABC: Who is 'Parker Bourke'?
This is the tale of a person who does not exist.
The story of an invented person – invented with your money, by your staff who are supposedly working for you and created with your taxes.
Here begins the story of Parker Bourke. Parker Bourke is very well quoted; I have found their name in Teacher Magazine, on the website of the Norwood Football Club, a netball forum, a French and Saunders website and he’s prominent in the Armenian-Australian community forums.
Parker Bourke reminds me of the old story: you ring to make a complaint to a government office and you have strong words with the person who answers.
That person then says: ‘Do you know who you are speaking to?’ You say no, so they say: ‘Good, well buzz off.’ They slam down the phone and hang up in your ear.
This is the same thing. Parker Bourke does not exist, but their title is ‘ABC audience and consumer affairs’.
They have been created because whoever really is in charge of such things doesn’t want you to have their real name in case you are unpleasant. They write off answers to news organisations, they explain things to the Armenians, the teachers, the footballers and the netballers when they complain.
They are quoted and taken seriously across the country, but they don’t exist.
Seriously, this is unbelievable. The ‘ABC audience and consumer affairs’, the spokesman quoted on the Armenian official website, Norwood football club – all manner of places – does not exist.
The person who invited them admitted as much to one of our listeners who was dealing with them. They got a letter signed by ‘Parker Bourke’, wrote back and it was returned unknown at the ABC.
They finally got to the bottom of it. So having created this person, they didn’t even tell their mail room they had a person who didn’t exist answering complaints.
What an unbelievable lot – precious and self-protective. Hey, I wonder if Ian Henderson really exists.
I think I’ll try the same thing. I’ll create a person who doesn’t exist then come on air and stir things up, but not take complaints because I don’t exist.
This is silly, not serious, but it is an indication of a very strange culture at your ABC. If you can judge an organisation by how it handles its complaints, that is your ABC.
Ask for your money back.
Seem to have discovered something similar on ABC RN "Counterpoint", which is sometimes not a bad show, for the ABC. They have twice interviewed "a psychiatrist- Dr George Henry. I thought it was odd I'd never heard of him, and he's not a "real person" either. Maybe a "nom de plume", but it is very inappropriate to be broadcasting this without making that key fact clear.Mark Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 12:02 AM
How dare they use a pseudonym? No one at 3AW would do that eh, Ross Stevenson (sorry) Campbell?Mal Bourne Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 6:42 PM
@mylene, there is a difference between using a pseudonym, nom-de-plume or alias and using a name of a non-existent person.Willow Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 5:55 PM
Gee... and no one at 3AW uses pseudonyms? :pmylene Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 10:49 AM
I don't know who Parker Bourke is either, but when it comes to Ian Henderson or anything to do with ABC News, I get to answer all complaints as Victorian Editor for ABC News.
Last time I looked I thought I was real!!!
Shane CastlemanShane Castleman Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 9:56 AM
Well lot better than the culture of your programme.
I only listen to Ross and John - gee is 3aw lucky to have them.maureen mckenna Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 9:51 AM