- Rosie Batty sent 'obscene' hate mail
- Get kids off this 'digital meat market'
- Australia's new airplanes are "horrendous lemons"
- 'I'm not good, my mum's dead': Donations flood for struggling kids
- 'Stop exploiting Anzac Day'
- 'The Easter Bunny is bad for kids'
- Thumbtack terrorists target Kew cyclists
- 'Do we need to see that?': Shaw
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Andrew on Australia's new airplanes are ... The picture associated with this article is not an f-35. more
- Ben on 'I'm not good, my mum's dead': ... Our thoughts go to the family and children of Fiona. Kindess and support is what these children will need in the long run. ... more
- Tracy Tot on 'Stop exploiting Anzac Day' Wrong and totally disrespectful to our diggers , have a party but don't use the uniform or anzacs to promote it. more
- lw ross on 'Stop exploiting Anzac Day' But exploiting easter is ok more
- John wright on 'Stop exploiting Anzac Day' I completely agree with Neil, it's a very sobering day of sadness and realisation people died to keep and protect what we ... more
- Maree on 'Stop exploiting Anzac Day' yhese people have no respect for anything not even themselves. more
- Karl Gawlik on FIXED: Bank backs down Well done Neil and 3AW. I had a similar problem with the same bank, not as serious but still a lot of money was involved. ... more
- sm on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania Do it Hawks - Do it !! ASAPbetter ground - no covering to "protect fully matured men from rain etc etc"DO IT HAWKS more
- Ron G on FIXED: Bank backs down Ditch the Combank.Take accounts to Bendigo or Community based Bank more
- Amazed on FIXED: Bank backs down Yep my tears are flowing as well. How can you not have tears... more
- Amazed on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania You have to be kidding Jeff Why TASMANIA :( more
- Graham on Kennett: Move Hawks to Tasmania May Jeff Kennett should move to Launceston. Has he considered 60,000 true and passionate members ? What an amazing statement ... more
- Colin Lacivita on FIXED: Bank backs down We all in the community would be lost without 3AW and Neil Mitchell CBA should know better the poor guy shouldn't have to ... more
- Noel Goodear on FIXED: Bank backs down My shares in the Commonwealth Bank says help the family, you might be right legally but where is your compassion - he has ... more
- Neddy on FIXED: Bank backs down Bloody Greedy COMMONWEALTH BANK. I removed my term deposit from this GREEDY bank in January because of their SNEEKY charges. ... more
- Chez on FIXED: Bank backs down Mr Simpson I am feeling for you and your family, re your situation. I am elated with the Commonwealth Bank, Its wonderful ... more
- Milton on FIXED: Bank backs down Neil:They shouldn't have to be dragged kicking and screaming to that position.Sorry, good move but no credit to them I am ... more
- Gavan Wignall on FIXED: Bank backs down Thanks Neil. Well done sorting the Commbank. Stuart is a former colleague of mine and having worked with him for 7 years can ... more
- David on FIXED: Bank backs down Just like warranties on cars.. not worth the paper they are written on.. I hope CBA come to this families aid but I doubt ... more
- Dame Mylene on 'Rats are eating my new home': Family's ... The rats are winning. more
Your ABC: Who is 'Parker Bourke'?
This is the tale of a person who does not exist.
The story of an invented person – invented with your money, by your staff who are supposedly working for you and created with your taxes.
Here begins the story of Parker Bourke. Parker Bourke is very well quoted; I have found their name in Teacher Magazine, on the website of the Norwood Football Club, a netball forum, a French and Saunders website and he’s prominent in the Armenian-Australian community forums.
Parker Bourke reminds me of the old story: you ring to make a complaint to a government office and you have strong words with the person who answers.
That person then says: ‘Do you know who you are speaking to?’ You say no, so they say: ‘Good, well buzz off.’ They slam down the phone and hang up in your ear.
This is the same thing. Parker Bourke does not exist, but their title is ‘ABC audience and consumer affairs’.
They have been created because whoever really is in charge of such things doesn’t want you to have their real name in case you are unpleasant. They write off answers to news organisations, they explain things to the Armenians, the teachers, the footballers and the netballers when they complain.
They are quoted and taken seriously across the country, but they don’t exist.
Seriously, this is unbelievable. The ‘ABC audience and consumer affairs’, the spokesman quoted on the Armenian official website, Norwood football club – all manner of places – does not exist.
The person who invited them admitted as much to one of our listeners who was dealing with them. They got a letter signed by ‘Parker Bourke’, wrote back and it was returned unknown at the ABC.
They finally got to the bottom of it. So having created this person, they didn’t even tell their mail room they had a person who didn’t exist answering complaints.
What an unbelievable lot – precious and self-protective. Hey, I wonder if Ian Henderson really exists.
I think I’ll try the same thing. I’ll create a person who doesn’t exist then come on air and stir things up, but not take complaints because I don’t exist.
This is silly, not serious, but it is an indication of a very strange culture at your ABC. If you can judge an organisation by how it handles its complaints, that is your ABC.
Ask for your money back.
Seem to have discovered something similar on ABC RN "Counterpoint", which is sometimes not a bad show, for the ABC. They have twice interviewed "a psychiatrist- Dr George Henry. I thought it was odd I'd never heard of him, and he's not a "real person" either. Maybe a "nom de plume", but it is very inappropriate to be broadcasting this without making that key fact clear.Mark Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 12:02 AM
How dare they use a pseudonym? No one at 3AW would do that eh, Ross Stevenson (sorry) Campbell?Mal Bourne Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 6:42 PM
@mylene, there is a difference between using a pseudonym, nom-de-plume or alias and using a name of a non-existent person.Willow Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 5:55 PM
Gee... and no one at 3AW uses pseudonyms? :pmylene Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 10:49 AM
I don't know who Parker Bourke is either, but when it comes to Ian Henderson or anything to do with ABC News, I get to answer all complaints as Victorian Editor for ABC News.
Last time I looked I thought I was real!!!
Shane CastlemanShane Castleman Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 9:56 AM
Well lot better than the culture of your programme.
I only listen to Ross and John - gee is 3aw lucky to have them.maureen mckenna Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 9:51 AM