- 'Why can't I relax and enjoy my meal?'
- Moira Kelly set to help deformed boy
- School bans cross-dressing for charity
- Can we move on from 'porn ring'?
- 19-year-old arrested over bus attack
- 'It's a long rant. It's not banter'
- Australia's Ebola promise to neighbours
- Abbott not a 'mainstream world politician'
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Ursula Fajerman on 250 animals face death in bank action Wonderful news about the sanctuary. Thank you to the buyers and 3aw. This is the feel good news people need to wake up to. I ... more
- Catherine on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... Who cares what the Russians says or believed they are morons like there leader and here in Australia they believe a ... more
- Stephen on 'It's a long rant. It's not banter' Oh lets not spend too much time on this he's an educated professor. Lets concentrate on removing Black from Baa Baa Black ... more
- Yank on Abbott not a 'mainstream world ... You should be proud to have a leader with guts. At least Abott's gotta pair we in the US are stuck with Mom Jeans as a ... more
- Andrea on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I bought a puppy from Greg and when it started growing I too doubted the breed of my puppy was what I had purchased. So, I ... more
- Brenda Mentz on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I have owned five miniature poodles and have no doubt this dog is part poodle. But the breed standard for miniature poodles ... more
- Lucy Richards on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' What utter crap this pet shop owner is talking, this dog would have come from a puppy farm. They work as he said on the ... more
- Colin Lacivita on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' How can you expect a dog not to grow and remain small. It's impossible. more
- Fran & Romeo on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' I think that was a poorly conducted interview if you invite people to speak on your show don't try to ridicule them I didn't ... more
- Toby Bushby on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' Looks like a Cavoodle to me, with dominant Poodle genes. They can be very small, or grow to larger than this pup is. Ally ... more
- Mandi on 'We still believe that it was a poodle' Get over it and look after the dog it deserves a good life omg humans! more
- Peggy on Police probe school chook killing What is this need to decapitate anything with some people?I guess it might be training for future "tourists" to the middle ... more
- Frank from Frankston on Police probe school chook killing This may be the work of foxes as they are notorious for killing and biting off the heads of all the chickens in a coop, if ... more
- Michelle on Bike thieves caught on CCTV So hope these thieves are caught! more
- Lukew on Bike thieves caught on CCTV So you can be filmed knocking off a motor bike and nothing can be done but pity help you if you do 44kmh in a 40kmh zone. more
- Mike on 'I'd grab the bastard' Considering Abbott is still saying that Russian backed rebels were behind MH17 despite all evidence to the contrary and the ... more
- Robbie on 'I'd grab the bastard' A civilian passenger plane, at high altitude, sqawking a civilian ident code is shot down by a missile fired from a Rushian ... more
- Lucy Richards on Surely this can't be a mini poodle! Please don't accept this pet shop excuse. If I was you I would not accept this, I would tell them that I will go on social ... more
- Keith on 'I'd grab the bastard' This guy is defiantly on the money. If Australia wants to play on the world stage then it has to adopt a certain amount ... more
- Joyless on Surely this can't be a mini poodle! Whilst I am very sorry you didn't get what you asked and paid for & I'm annoyed at the attitude of the Pet shop, really, ... more
Your ABC: Who is 'Parker Bourke'?
This is the tale of a person who does not exist.
The story of an invented person – invented with your money, by your staff who are supposedly working for you and created with your taxes.
Here begins the story of Parker Bourke. Parker Bourke is very well quoted; I have found their name in Teacher Magazine, on the website of the Norwood Football Club, a netball forum, a French and Saunders website and he’s prominent in the Armenian-Australian community forums.
Parker Bourke reminds me of the old story: you ring to make a complaint to a government office and you have strong words with the person who answers.
That person then says: ‘Do you know who you are speaking to?’ You say no, so they say: ‘Good, well buzz off.’ They slam down the phone and hang up in your ear.
This is the same thing. Parker Bourke does not exist, but their title is ‘ABC audience and consumer affairs’.
They have been created because whoever really is in charge of such things doesn’t want you to have their real name in case you are unpleasant. They write off answers to news organisations, they explain things to the Armenians, the teachers, the footballers and the netballers when they complain.
They are quoted and taken seriously across the country, but they don’t exist.
Seriously, this is unbelievable. The ‘ABC audience and consumer affairs’, the spokesman quoted on the Armenian official website, Norwood football club – all manner of places – does not exist.
The person who invited them admitted as much to one of our listeners who was dealing with them. They got a letter signed by ‘Parker Bourke’, wrote back and it was returned unknown at the ABC.
They finally got to the bottom of it. So having created this person, they didn’t even tell their mail room they had a person who didn’t exist answering complaints.
What an unbelievable lot – precious and self-protective. Hey, I wonder if Ian Henderson really exists.
I think I’ll try the same thing. I’ll create a person who doesn’t exist then come on air and stir things up, but not take complaints because I don’t exist.
This is silly, not serious, but it is an indication of a very strange culture at your ABC. If you can judge an organisation by how it handles its complaints, that is your ABC.
Ask for your money back.
Seem to have discovered something similar on ABC RN "Counterpoint", which is sometimes not a bad show, for the ABC. They have twice interviewed "a psychiatrist- Dr George Henry. I thought it was odd I'd never heard of him, and he's not a "real person" either. Maybe a "nom de plume", but it is very inappropriate to be broadcasting this without making that key fact clear.Mark Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 12:02 AM
How dare they use a pseudonym? No one at 3AW would do that eh, Ross Stevenson (sorry) Campbell?Mal Bourne Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 6:42 PM
@mylene, there is a difference between using a pseudonym, nom-de-plume or alias and using a name of a non-existent person.Willow Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 5:55 PM
Gee... and no one at 3AW uses pseudonyms? :pmylene Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 10:49 AM
I don't know who Parker Bourke is either, but when it comes to Ian Henderson or anything to do with ABC News, I get to answer all complaints as Victorian Editor for ABC News.
Last time I looked I thought I was real!!!
Shane CastlemanShane Castleman Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 9:56 AM
Well lot better than the culture of your programme.
I only listen to Ross and John - gee is 3aw lucky to have them.maureen mckenna Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 9:51 AM