- Racial abuse on the rise
- Why demean Gallipoli?
- 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament'
- Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal with James Hird and Essendon
- 'The AFL and Essendon drug scandal is back'
- Mandate for Abbott?
- Fairfield station's new holding cell
- Zac Young's story to live on
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- CHRIS WATTS on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... DOES THIS 2 MILLION DOLLAR A YEAR MAN REALLY KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS more
- mylene on Why demean Gallipoli? Keating did really well in the ratings and was never out of the top 10. Maybe they could follow it up with Andrew Bolt ... more
- JamesD on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... Herald continues with banner headlines on AFL & Demetriou - during the year Fairfax seemed to know lot more about issue. Is ... more
- Robert Rich on 'The AFL and Essendon drug scandal is ... I believe if James Hird took the AFL to court he would have won what a joke sack Andrew more
- Maureen on 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament' He was found NOT guilty of anything and has left plenty of egg on the face of Mitchell, the Herald Sun and feral Labor ... more
- Matthew on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... I wonder how Demetriou will cope in jail? Because that's what this is all about, he is facing a jail sentence if found ... more
- Jake on Why demean Gallipoli? Would anyone expect different of bagman Keating? more
- Jake on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... This is not about integrity and doing teh right thing. Rather it is about protecting the AFL brand and for Andrew ... more
- Jake on 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament' That Shaw is a disgrace is not in question But I disagree that he should resign. Let the ballot box decide at the next ... more
- mylene on Mandate for Abbott? "One blue"?? He's tried to start conflict with both Indonesia and China and sent ASIO after Aussie lawyers. If the rest of ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Why demean Gallipoli? @Milton posting - yes an excellent comment indeed. Maybe we right thinking voters should have a Hall of Shame in the ... more
- Tim on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... So what's the threat tape that's been rumoured??I doubt Demetrio will survive this and he should take Wilson with him. more
- Albert chapman on Why demean Gallipoli? Neil Gallipoli is important in our history but not the "Birth of the Nation". I believe the event of December 1854 at Eureka ... more
- nat carr on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... If no Essendon player is stood down for taking illegal drugs then Essendon and the AFL have done the deal . more
- Greg on 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament' Australia is far too lenient when it comes to Politicians indiscretions.That's why they all rort the system.When it comes to ... more
- Willow on Why demean Gallipoli? I have always detested Keating and believe that he and Hawke were/are both evil men. more
- Aaron on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... Gloria, more fool you if you believe Andrew D. AD is a criminal himself. more
- Aaron on Andrew Demetriou denies secret deal ... Craig, this story has nothing to do with what Essendon may or may not have done. It has ALL to do with how dodgy the AFL ... more
- Samuel J on 'Geoff Shaw should quit parliament' This is but another glaring example of our foolhardy judicial system being off the rails and in urgent need of a complete ... more
- Keith A Tudor on Why demean Gallipoli? For God's sake Keating the egotist suffering from the 'me,me' syndrome has been out of politics for 20 years - just let him ... more
Your ABC: Who is 'Parker Bourke'?
This is the tale of a person who does not exist.
The story of an invented person – invented with your money, by your staff who are supposedly working for you and created with your taxes.
Here begins the story of Parker Bourke. Parker Bourke is very well quoted; I have found their name in Teacher Magazine, on the website of the Norwood Football Club, a netball forum, a French and Saunders website and he’s prominent in the Armenian-Australian community forums.
Parker Bourke reminds me of the old story: you ring to make a complaint to a government office and you have strong words with the person who answers.
That person then says: ‘Do you know who you are speaking to?’ You say no, so they say: ‘Good, well buzz off.’ They slam down the phone and hang up in your ear.
This is the same thing. Parker Bourke does not exist, but their title is ‘ABC audience and consumer affairs’.
They have been created because whoever really is in charge of such things doesn’t want you to have their real name in case you are unpleasant. They write off answers to news organisations, they explain things to the Armenians, the teachers, the footballers and the netballers when they complain.
They are quoted and taken seriously across the country, but they don’t exist.
Seriously, this is unbelievable. The ‘ABC audience and consumer affairs’, the spokesman quoted on the Armenian official website, Norwood football club – all manner of places – does not exist.
The person who invited them admitted as much to one of our listeners who was dealing with them. They got a letter signed by ‘Parker Bourke’, wrote back and it was returned unknown at the ABC.
They finally got to the bottom of it. So having created this person, they didn’t even tell their mail room they had a person who didn’t exist answering complaints.
What an unbelievable lot – precious and self-protective. Hey, I wonder if Ian Henderson really exists.
I think I’ll try the same thing. I’ll create a person who doesn’t exist then come on air and stir things up, but not take complaints because I don’t exist.
This is silly, not serious, but it is an indication of a very strange culture at your ABC. If you can judge an organisation by how it handles its complaints, that is your ABC.
Ask for your money back.
Seem to have discovered something similar on ABC RN "Counterpoint", which is sometimes not a bad show, for the ABC. They have twice interviewed "a psychiatrist- Dr George Henry. I thought it was odd I'd never heard of him, and he's not a "real person" either. Maybe a "nom de plume", but it is very inappropriate to be broadcasting this without making that key fact clear.Mark Thursday 29 November, 2012 - 12:02 AM
How dare they use a pseudonym? No one at 3AW would do that eh, Ross Stevenson (sorry) Campbell?Mal Bourne Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 6:42 PM
@mylene, there is a difference between using a pseudonym, nom-de-plume or alias and using a name of a non-existent person.Willow Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 5:55 PM
Gee... and no one at 3AW uses pseudonyms? :pmylene Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 10:49 AM
I don't know who Parker Bourke is either, but when it comes to Ian Henderson or anything to do with ABC News, I get to answer all complaints as Victorian Editor for ABC News.
Last time I looked I thought I was real!!!
Shane CastlemanShane Castleman Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 9:56 AM
Well lot better than the culture of your programme.
I only listen to Ross and John - gee is 3aw lucky to have them.maureen mckenna Wednesday 7 November, 2012 - 9:51 AM