A new tunnel and freeway will connect the West Gate Freeway to Citylink.
Victoria's leading motoring groups have reacted positively to the Labor government's Western Distributor proposal, despite being left out of consultations.
But Daniel Andrews has been urged to hurry up and build it.
The government seems to be stumbling around today on road announcements.Neil Mitchell
TODAY'S PROPOSAL EXPLAINED
- The $5.5 billion project will connect the West Gate Freeway with CityLink.
- It will start just before the West Gate Bridge (city-bound) with a tunnel under Yarraville, and then a raised freeway over Footscray Rd to Citylink
- Cars will be tolled $3; trucks will be tolled $13
- It has been overseen by Transurban, but the business has committed to nothing
- The government says no house will be lost in build the underground tunnel.
The RACV told Neil Mitchell they were "surprised" but "pleased" with the project.
The Victorian Transport Association has also tentatively welcomed the proposal, but says it's hardly a silver bullet.
"It's just one of myriad solutions we need," VTA chief Peter Anderson said.
"It's important we get that ring road right around Melbourne ... between Ringwood and Greensborough."
Listen: 3AW Mornings callers react to the Western Distributor plan
EARLIER: Changes for Tullamarine Freeway