WorkSafe charges Essendon

Date

WorkSafe has charged Essendon for breaching health and safety rules during its 2012 supplements program.

The Bombers have been slapped with two charges:

  • failing to provide and maintain for employees a working environment that is, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe and without risks to health.
  • failing to provide and maintain for employees a system of work that is, so far as is reasonably practicable, safe and without risks to health. 

John Karantzis from Slater and Gordon told Neil Mitchell the penalty could be up to $1.365m.

Mr Karantzis also said individual footballers will now "most likely" be able to seek civil remedies against the club for personal injury damage.

"As a litigator, you're in a great position when the employer has been prosecuted for breaches of Occupational Health and Safety Laws. Your case has almost been run for you," he said.

LISTEN: John Karantzis speaks to Neil Mitchell

"WorkSafe understands the significant public interest in the details surrounding this matter," they said in a statement.

"However, as it is now before the Court, it would be inappropriate to make any further comment at this time."

The charges come after a long investigation by WorkSafe into the club.

WorkSafe also investigated the AFL's role, but no charges laid.

"Following a review of the available and admissible evidence, it could not be established to the requisite standard that the AFL breached the OHS Act," the statement read.

On Air Next

10am-midday every Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning

10am - 12pm 

Advertisement
Advertisement