UPDATE: A woman has lost her fight for survival after eating poisonous mushrooms handpicked from the Box Hill area.
The woman, aged in her early 50s was taken to the Austin Hospital in a critical condition on Wednesday.. after eating the mushrooms in a meal at the weekend.
Despite round the clock intensive care treatment, she died in hospital today.
YESTERDAY: A woman is in a critical condition in the Austin hospital after eating mushrooms.
The woman in her 50's is believed to have eaten death cap mushrooms, which are a highly poisonous fungi to humans.
It's understood she prepared the meal which included the mushrooms herself.
Earlier this year, two people died after eating death cap mushrooms at New Year's eve party in Canberra.
The chances of dying after ingesting death cap mushrooms is around 25-50%.
The Australian government has a webpage detailing the aesthetics and dangers of death cap mushrooms.
A woman is fighting for her life at the Austin hospital, after eating Death Cap mushrooms she picked locally from the Box Hill area. @3AW693— Phoebe O'Sullivan (@PhoebeOSullivan) June 7, 2012