‘Nothing changes today’: Victoria won’t ease any COVID-19 restrictions until next week
Premier Daniel Andrews has urged Victorians to keep following existing COVID-19 lockdown rules, after the Prime Minister unveiled a three-step plan to implement a “COVIDsafe economy” for Australia.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the plan for the easing of lockdown restrictions earlier today, but Mr Andrews said there will be no immediate change in Victoria.
“Nothing changes today, nothing changes tomorrow, nothing changes Sunday,” he said.
“The rules remain in place.
“On Monday, and indeed throughout next week, I will have a series of announcements to make about the changes of the rules.”
Mr Andrews said Victoria differs from other states and territories because of its higher community transmission rate, and that warrants a slower release of restrictions.
More than 10 per cent of coronavirus cases in Victoria have spread via community transmission.
“That means we’re not like other states that have literally no community transmission,” Mr Andrews said.
The Premier stressed the implementation of the federal government plan tabled by national cabinet today is up to individual states and territories.
“That’s a kind of menu if you like, and we will choose the elements of that and the respective timing for the roll out of each of those elements that best suit Victoria,” Mr Andrews said of the plan.
Scott Morrison said he hopes the steps will be implemented nationwide by July.
Press PLAY below to hear more from the Premier.
The federal government’s three-step plan:
- Five visitors allowed in a home
- Gatherings of up to 10 outside of home
- Continuing to work from home if it works for you and your employer
- Restaurants cafes and shopping open
- Playgrounds, boot camps, libraries open
- 30 people at funerals outdoors and 10 at weddings
- Local and regional travel
- Gatherings of 20 in your home, businesses and public places
- Continue to work from home
- Caravan and camping grounds open
- Some interstate travel will be allowed
- Gyms, cinemas, galleries, amusement parks and beauty will reopen
- Gathering sizes increased to 100
- Return to workplaces
- Nightclubs and food courts will open
- All interstate travel allowed
- Cross-Tasman, pacific island and international student travel will be considered
Click PLAY below to hear more from the Prime Minister