on air now

A bee sting can be far more dangerous than you think, expert warns

An anaphylaxis expert is urging people to be more wary of the dangers posed by bees.

It comes after the death of a 27-year-old man who was stung at a garden in Dunkeld on Wednesday.

Professor Jo Douglass, from the Royal Melbourne hospital, told Ross and John that many people had no idea how their body would react to a sting.

“We don’t think of bees as being the most dangerous animal in Australia but they are probably close to that,” she said.

“It doesn’t take much to set off a severe reaction.”

Click PLAY below to hear more on 3AW Breakfast