on air now

Chemical leak at BP service station, Avalon

More than 30 people have ended up in hospital after chemical leak at an Avalon petrol station.

34 people are recovering after a cracked pipe leaked up to 120 litres the very toxic Butyl Acrylate around 1pm on Wednesday.

They are suffering from a range of symptoms including nausea, itchy eyes and throat soreness.

It is very odorous and could be smelt in the Lara, Little River and Cocoroc areas.  

Dozens of emergency crews were on scene, with Channel 7’s Emily Angwin telling Tom Elliott it was quite confronting.

‘A woman collapsed (in front of us) and a man was leaning up against a tree,’ she explained on 3AW Drive.

Click PLAY below to hear Emily Angwin on 3AW Drive.