Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap WATCH to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LISTEN to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LATEST NEWS to start the live stream.

LISTEN
Watch
on air now

Create a 3AW account today!

You can now log in once to listen live, watch live, join competitions, enjoy exclusive 3AW content and other benefits.


Joining is easy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crews battle blaze at South Melbourne pub

Article image for Crews battle blaze at South Melbourne pub

LATEST: A recently refurbished South Melbourne hotel connected to current and former footballers has gone up in flames in a suspicious fire this morning.

Up to 100 fire fighters battled the big blaze at The Albion in York Street that broke out at 7am.

In a statement, police said it’s believed a site worker disturbed two men who were seen close to where the fire started.

The worker is believed to have been assaulted.

Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Dave Cox said a man was attacked when he arrived for work around 6.30am.

‘He’s been confronted by two males, both of those males allegedly wearing ski masks or balaclavas,’ he said.

‘No conversation has been held but the male employee has been subsequently assaulted.’

 

Acting Assistant Chief fire officer Dominic Scarfe said the fire had been deemed suspicious. 

‘There’s a far bit of structural damage in there,’ he said.

MFB Commander Tim Landells told 3AW Breakfast the building was under renovation and the windows were boarded up.

The MFB says crews were called to the three storey building around 7am to find the pub’s bottom floor fully engulfed.

‘It’s gone, it’s completely gone,’ caller Peter told 3AW Breakfast.

‘It will be gutted completely, they are trying to hold the building next door.’

The venue, which used to be Motel, is part-owned by Collingwood’s Dane Swan and Melbourne Storm players.

It was being renovated and was due to open on October 16.

Advertisement