Dining with Den – Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
by Antonio Carluccio, one of the great chefs
• 220g Spaghetti or Spaghettoni (the largest spaghetti)
• 25g Guanciale (the cheek of the pork) or pancetta (Italian bacon) cut into small cubes.
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 eggs
• 50g Parmesan cheese (or aged pecorino) freshly grated.
• Freshly ground black pepper.
• Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente.
• Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the guanciale or pancetta until crisp. Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl with the grated cheese and pepper. When the pasta is ready, drain and add to the pan with the guanciale. Then mix well to coat everything. Take off the heat. Allow to cool slightly. Then add the egg and cheese mixture. Stir to coat the pasta and serve immediately.