Emma Dean’s recipe for Grand Final Footy Pies!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 kg flank steak, cut into 1.5 cm cubes
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- ¼ cup water
- Flaked salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sesame seeds
- 2 sheets Borg’s Shortcrust Pastry
- 2 sheets Borg’s Puff Pastry
- Line your pie tins with the shortcrust pastry, and blind bake as per packet instructions. Cool.
- In a fry pan, heat up the olive oil and sauté the onion for a few minute to get a little colour. Add in the bacon, and then add in the beef. Season with the salt and white pepper. Once the beef gets a little brown, add in the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, wine, and stock and cook down, covered with a cartouche, for about 40 minutes until the beef is tender.
- Once beef is tender, mix the cornflour and water together and then add into the beef mixture. Cook for a further few minutes and then remove from the heat and let cool.
- Spoon the mixture into the cooled pie cases. Using the egg wash, brush the edges of the shortcrust and then top with disks of puff pastry, pressing down to seal.
- Brush the top of the pies with egg wash and then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at for 180C for 35-40 minutes until golden and crispy. Enjoy with your favourite tomato sauce and the red wine you cooked with! GO FOOTY!