Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Rumour File: Ex-AFL player Glenn Archer charged over junior footy incident

THE RUMOUR FILE

RUMOUR FILE CONFIRMED

Former North Melbourne footballer Glenn Archer has been charged with assault following an incident at a junior football match yesterday.

Archer, now a Roos board member, had previously come out and apologised for being involved in the incident this morning after it was made public on the 3AW Rumour File.

The incident involved a runner at his son’s under 15s game, during which Archer, 44, admitted to to jumping the fence.

Read his full statement below.

Police this afternoon confirmed he has been charged with common assault and released on bail to appear at court on September 1.

Archer, voted ‘Shinboner of the Century’ and often lauded for his courage, told Ross and John he left the scene before police were called.

Police were alerted to an incident at an oval off Beverley Road in Heidelberg about 3.55pm, after reports a runner had been assaulted by a spectator.

The match was between Banyule and Park Orchards.

Click PLAY below to hear the news broken exclusively on 3AW Breakfast with Ross and John

STATEMENT: Glenn Archer released the below statement via the North Melbourne media department

“I would like to apologise unreservedly for my involvement in what transpired at a junior football match in Heidelberg on Sunday,” he said.

“Jumping the fence to defend a player was inappropriate and unacceptable.

“The incident that occurred several minutes later with the opposition team’s runner was also unfortunate.

“I would like to reinforce that under no circumstances should spectators or parents intervene in any on-field matters with players or officials, at any level.

“I regret my initial decision to enter the field of play and acknowledge it was wrong.

“I will fully cooperate with the Yarra Junior Football League if it investigates the matter further.”

 

THE RUMOUR FILE
Advertisement