EXCLUSIVE: ‘I’m in’ – Oscar Yildiz wants to be Melbourne mayor
Former Moreland mayor Oscar Yildiz is the first person to officially put their hand up for the vacant role of Melbourne Lord Mayor.
Two days after Robert Doyle announced his resignation, Mr Yildiz confirmed his interest to Tom Elliott on 3AW Drive today.
In a strange sequence of events, Mr Yildiz was first linked to the high-profile job during Ross and John’s Rumour File on Tuesday morning.
He later tweeted that there was no substance to the rumour.
Thanks for all the text messages, phone calls & now a dozen missed calls from friends, family & supporters about me potentially running as a candidate to be the next Melbourne Mayor. It’s definitely a rumour, happy to remain as a Moreland Councillor for now. @RossAndJohn @3AW693 pic.twitter.com/tnq5wdz3qM
— Cr Oscar Yildiz JP (@oscaryildiz70) February 5, 2018
But he later told Tom Elliott that after an “overwhelming response and encouraging comments”, he had decided “the time is right” to throw his hat in the ring.
“Yes, yes, I’m definitely going to have a go at it,” Mr Yildiz said today.
Click PLAY to hear the interview
But the current Moreland councillor faces an immediate stumbling block given he doesn’t currently own a business nor property in the City of Melbourne, as is required to run for council.
Mr Yildiz listed car parking, traffic congestion, sustainability and architecture as some of the key issues he would tackle.
He also started the interview by offering his support to Mr Doyle, suggesting he had been undermined.
“I think he’s certainly been the best mayor of Melbourne,” he said.
“He’s a man of a lot of integrity. He’s been an excellent mayor.
“I can’t say too much, but I want to say is my thoughts are with him.
“I think there’s some undermining going on and I know him and his family are absolutely shattered at the moment.”
Mr Yildiz’s declaration was met with an overwhelmingly positive response from 3AW callers.