‘Jihadi hunters’ discover Queen Victoria Market bomb plot
A family of so-called amateur ‘jihadi hunters’ claims to have unearthed a terror plot on the Queen Victoria Market.
The UK-based family, which is hailed for exposing IS-inspired plots in Britain, claims to have spoken with a man involved in a terror cell in the Middle East.
The Herald Sun today reports the man sent them a 5000-page terrorism manual.
The manual discussed possible targets, including Melbourne’s St Paul’s Cathedral, Chadstone shopping centre and the William Street law court precinct.
But it then went on to settle on Queen Victoria Market and urged an attack on June 14, during the month of Ramadan.
The information was handed to authorities earlier this year.
The federal and Victoria Police’s Joint Counter Terrorism Team say there is no imminent threat of an attack.
Queen Victoria Market chair Paul Guerra told Ross and John local police alerted him yesterday.
“There is no credible threat, and there’s certainly no immediate threat,” he said.
“I think this demonstrates the great co-operation between the AFP, Victoria Police and their global colleagues.
“We’re in contact and very close contact with Victoria Police … and they alerted us to this yesterday.”
Click PLAY to hear more