Melbourne City Council spending $3.4 million on 14 tonnes of NYE fireworks
Lord Mayor Sally Capp has defended Melbourne City Council spending up big on 14 tonnes of New Year’s Eve fireworks.
The $3.4 million has been spent creating a fireworks display which is almost double that of Sydney’s NYE fireworks, which is about 8.5 tonnes.
Lord Mayor Sally Capp told Nick McCallum the 14 tonnes is the same as last year.
“Our strategy spans seven kilometres, 22 different buildings, it’s about bringing the fireworks to greater Melbourne, meaning people cam enjoy it from a long way away,” the Lord Mayor said.
“We think it’s worth it for lots of reasons.
“Just on an economic investment perspective the $3.4 million last year generated about $8.6 million in positive economic impact right through venues across the city.”
Click PLAY below to hear more
We’re on track for a dry + pleasant 18° at midnight in the CBD to bring in 2019.
• 350,000+ people expected in the city
• 14 tonnes of fireworks (worth $235K)
• 22 rooftops
— 3AW Melbourne (@3AW693) December 31, 2018