More than a dozen Victorian bank branches to close in coming months
Another 18 Victorian bank branches will close in coming months.
According to the Finance Sector Union, Westpac Group — which also includes Bank of Melbourne and Bank SA — will close 20 branches across the country in coming months, including 11 in Victoria.
The closures come on top of another 35 previously announced Australian bank branch closures by June, including seven in Victoria.
Finance Sector Union branch secretary of Victoria and Tasmania, Nicole McPherson, says she’s “absolutely appalled”.
Press PLAY below to hear what the Finance Sector Union thinks is behind the closures
“They clearly don’t want bank branches to exist anymore because it’s a way of just lining their pockets further,” she told Neil Mitchell.
Ms McPherson said regional branch closures in Robinvale and Sale in May are particularly concerning.
In a statement, a Westpac spokesperson declined to confirm the closures reported by the Finance Sector Union, but said “changing and declining customer use of branches means that in some instances, we may make a difficult decision to close a branch”.
Branches closing in Victoria by June:
- Westpac – Brandon Park (March closure)
- Westpac – Robinvale (May closure)
- Westpac – Sale (May closure)
- Bank of Melbourne – Casey (March closure)
- Bank of Melbourne – Chirnside Park (March closure)
- Bank of Melbourne – Moonee Ponds (March closure)
- Bank of Melbourne – Melton (March closure)
- Bank of Melbourne – Woodgrove (March closure)
- Bank of Melbourne – South Melbourne (March closure)
- Bank of Melbourne – Malvern (March closure)
- Bank of Melbourne – Waurn Ponds (March closure)
- ANZ – Seymour
- Bank of Melbourne – Horsham
- NAB – Niddrie
- ANZ – Myrtleford
- ANZ – Robinvale
- Bank of Melbourne – Shepparton
- ANZ – Cobram