Paul Roos says decision to delay contract talks with Jesse Hogan is the ‘best result’
Melbourne coach Paul Roos says the decision to postpone contract talks with young gun Jesse Hogan until the end of this season is the ‘best result’ for both parties.
The Demons announced on Wednesday discussions had been put on hold, but Roos said there was no need for panic.
Hogan is contracted until the end of 2017.
‘I think it’s the best result for both parties,’ Roos told 3AW’s Sports Today.
‘Hopefully, at the end of the year, we sit down and Jesse becomes a long-term player at the Melbourne footy club.’
The 2005 premiership coach, in his final season with the Demons, said he understood why Wednesday’s announcement had drawn so much interest and fuelled so much speculation.
‘There’s so much pressure now from a media point of view, and by that, I mean there’s real interest in where young players are going to play,’ Roos explained.
‘With free agency and 18 teams, the potential for change has never been greater.’
Click PLAY below to hear Paul Roos share his thoughts on the situation.