Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap WATCH to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LISTEN to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LATEST NEWS to start the live stream.

LISTEN
Watch
on air now

Create a 3AW account today!

You can now log in once to listen live, watch live, join competitions, enjoy exclusive 3AW content and other benefits.


Joining is easy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Mandatory reporting of anaphylactic cases after tragic death of young boy

The Andrews Government will introduce legislation today to make it mandatory for hospitals to report cases of anaphylaxis.

It comes after a food labelling error led to the death of a 10-year-old boy.

Ronak Warty died in 2013 after consuming a coconut drink bought from an Asian supermarket in Burwood East that contained undeclared dairy milk.

The product was left on the shelves for six weeks after his death, after the hospital failed to alert the health department.

Chief Executive of Allergy and Anaphylaxis Australia Maria Said has welcomed the move from the government.

“There’s been a huge increase in prevalence, more people are going to be having reactions,” she said.

“It is so difficult to avoid the foods that you are allergic to.

“When we ask questions, when we disclose our allergy, we’re not being fussy or difficult – small amounts can trigger potentially life-threatening reactions.

“We need food allergies to be taken seriously.”

Click PLAY to hear more

Advertisement