Recipe: Emma Dean’s Mushroom Tartlets
Emma Dean’s Mushroom Tartlets
• 30g butter
• 3 french shallots, finely chopped
• 200g mushrooms, finely chopped
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 160ml thickened cream
• 4 eggs
• 4 egg yolks
• ½ tsp of ground nutmeg
• pinch of salt and pepper
1. Butter two 12 hole muffin trays.
2. Cut 24 rounds of shortcrust pastry (you can make your own or grab some from the store), slightly larger that the top of the muffin pan, to fit the muffin holes when pushed down. Line each muffin cavity with the shortcrust pastry. Place in the fridge to settle.
3. To make the mushroom filling, melt a tablespoon of butter (30g) in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 3 finely chopped French shallots and cook off for about 3 minutes. Throw in 200g of finely chopped mushrooms and squeeze over 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until dry.
4. Once cooked and dry, put the mushroom filling in a bowl and set it aside to cool (this is very important as pastry does not like hot filling).
5. Preheat your oven to 180C.
6. Whilst the mushrooms are chilling, mix together the cream, eggs, egg yolks, nutmeg, salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Divide the mushroom mixture evenly into each tart shell, then cover evenly with the egg mixture, and add a sprinkle of salt.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
9. Serve immediately with a delicate green salad.