RECIPE: Tobie Puttock’s Panzanella Salad
Tobie Puttock’s Panzanella Salad
- 1 small loaf of stale ciabatta roughly torn into bite sized pieces5 ripe
- 5 tomatoes, blanched, refreshed, skin and seeds removed reserving the juices and flesh
- 1 red capsicum, grilled, skin removed, flesh roughly torn
- tablespoon of salted capers, rinsed
- 8-12 best quality anchovies
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- best quality evoo
- red wine vinegar
- freshly cracked pepper and sea salt
- 10-12 leaves of fresh basil
Pop the tomato juice into a bowl and season with pepper, a splash of red wine vinegar, chopped garlic and a good lug of extra virgin olive oil. Have a taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Add the bread to the bowl with the liquid and use your hands to squeeze the moisture into the stale bread.
Add the capsicum, capers, anchovies and the basil and carefully toss the ingredients together (I use my hands).
Serve right away.