on air now

Six hoverboards recalled prior to Christmas

Neil Fraser from Energy Safe Victoria has told Justin and Kate that six hoverboards were recalled in Victoria prior to Christmas.

The safety of the popular boards has come into question following a blaze sparked in Melbourne’s north overnight.  A family of five was evacuated and a house gutted by fire after a hoverboard that was sitting on its charger burst into flames.

Mr Fraser urged Australians to be cautious when purchasing hoverboards from overseas as their batteries and power supplies aren’t necessarily designed to match Australia’s. 

‘The key is to buy Australian retail product which is tested for Australia and designed for Australia,’ he told 3AW Breakfast.

Related:  Hoverboard sparks fire at Strathmore home

Click play to hear the full interview with Neil Fraser from Energy Safe Victoria