THIS WEEK IN FOOD – June 16
– BURGER BONANZA: the Burger craze continues with Shannon Bennett’s Benny Burger Project opening while I was away in Swan Street Richmond. A burger from here will set you back around $15, but nearly every ingredient on the extensive menu is preceded by the words local or organic. http://www.bennyburger.com.au/
– FINGER LICKING GOOD: Fast-growing Singaporean brand 4FINGERS have opened their first Australian store in Bourke Street. They bring their unique Asian-inspired fried chicken to our CBD. Look forward to crispy chicken, free of antibiotics and hormones, with sizzling flavours and spices – in soy garlic or hot & spicy. http://www.4fingers.com/
– DON’T GIVE ME TRUFFLES: Back for a huge fourth year, TruffleMelbourne is on today and tomorrow at the Queen Victoria Market … it’s bound to be tasty, and stinky! https://trufflemelbourne.com/
– BALI BITES: Spent a very quick five days in Bali for a wedding, standout for eats was the new Australian-owned Bikini restaurant. Uber-cool, with booths and dark atmospheric lighting, there was not a single miss on the feed me menu – from foie gras cigars with quince or charcoal and wagyu empanadas through to suckling pig with pear and cherry vinegar. www.ulookhotinbikini.com
– FRENCH FESTIVITIES: Chef Philippe Mouchel is celebrating 25 years of cooking in Melbourne with a dinner he’ll serve up alongside some of the chefs he has mentored and worked with, including Scott Pickett and Joe Vargetto. They’ll prepare a 7 courses meal with matched wines for $300 per person, more info at https://www.