Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Tim Cahill and David Gallop in war of words over A-League snub

MML

Australian soccer great Tim Cahill has entered a war of words with Football Federation Australia boss David Gallop.

The star forward has hit back at ‘hurtful’ comments from Gallop that money was essentially the reason he wouldn’t be playing in the A-League after having his contract at Shanghai torn up.

Cahill took to social media on Friday night to respond.

TIM CAHILL’S STATEMENT

‘I have been really hurt by some of the things that have been said and written about me today.

‘The most hurtful of all these is the suggestion that I had made it clear to the FFA that it could not meet my NEEDS.

‘This is totally incorrect. I have never said that, nor anything like it.

‘Since my contract was terminated earlier this week, I have not spoken to anyone at the FFA about any contractual terms or about money.

‘The reason for me not being able to consider an A-League move is that the transfer window had closed when my Shanghai Shenhua contract was mutually terminated.

‘According to FIFA regulations, no A-League club could sign me. It was the FFA who informed me of this and that was the end of the conversation with the FFA.

‘The most important thing from my point of view is to contribute as much as I possibly can to the Socceroos qualifying for the next World Cup. To do this, I have to be playing regularly. We have crucial games coming up in March.

‘It’s been a tough day having to sit back and read everything but at least now the picture is painted properly.

‘I appreciate so much the support so many of you have given me today. That means everything to me.

‘I hope this sheds some light on what has happened. I feel obliged to share this with all the supporters who have been so loyal.’

Advertisement