‘Tis the season for cold soup: Flip’s Gazpacho recipe
Hot weather, cold soup. This is perfect for right about now!
- 1/2 red onion (flavour can take over so use less than more)
- 1/2 kg ripe tomatoes (approx. 4 large ones)
- 1/2 kg red peppers (approx. three medium sized)
- 1 continental cucumber, peeled (and de-seeded ? optional)
- 6 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- to taste seasalt and cracked black pepper
- 1 garlic clove ? optional
- 1 red chili, de-seeded ? optional
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika – optional
Chop onion, tomatoes, red peppers and cucumber into pieces.
Toss all ingredients into food processor and blend to required consistency. (Also, depending on the size of yourprocessor you might do this in stages.)
Season with salt and pepper.
Placein fridge and chill for a couple of hours before serving so flavours intensify.
Add a mild veggie stock if you want a thinner soup.
Roast the red pepper and peel the tomatoes before blending to get a more intense flavour. (does defeat the purpose of an easy dinner then!)
Pour soup through a strainer for an uber-smooth blend.