Tobie Puttock’s recipe for carrot cake
Carrot cake recipe
175g caster sugar
170ml extra virgin olive oil
3 large eggs, beaten
120g carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
1 orange, zested
170g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
For the frosting
200g cream cheese, spreadable
60g icing sugar
? teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line a round loose bottomed baking tin with baking paper.
- Bring together the sugar, olive oil and the eggs and combine with a wooden spoon and then add the grated carrots and the orange zest and combine once again.
- In a separate bowl sift in the self-raising flour, bicarb soda, once sifted add the cinnamon and the nutmeg and combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the carrot mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and bake for 45 minutes or until the it feels firm yet slightly springy in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool almost completely before removing.
To make the icing:
1. Bring together the cream cheese, icing sugar and the vanilla and stir to combine, when the cake is cooled and turned out onto a plate you can use a spatula to evenly distribute the icing over the surface of the cake.