Tobie Puttock’s recipe for Fritelli di Ricotta
Fritelli di Ricotta
Serves: roughly 20
- 400g fresh ricotta
- 3 free range eggs
- 5 tablespoons castor sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- pinch of bicarbonate soda
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- 200g plain flour
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil
- icing sugar
- Place the ricotta in a large sieve sitting over a bowl allow any excess moisture to drain out.
- Place the drained ricotta into a large mixing bowl, add the eggs and beat until smooth, add the sugar, orange zest, bicarb soda, sultanas and flour and mix well. Cover the mixture and allow to rest in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based pot over a medium heat to approximately 170C.
- Use a tablespoon to shape dollops of the mixture then gently lowering them into the oil, repeat for the remaining mixture and fry until golden brown in color.
- Once browned remove from the hot with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm.