Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap WATCH to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LISTEN to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LATEST NEWS to start the live stream.

LISTEN
Watch
on air now

Create a 3AW account today!

You can now log in once to listen live, watch live, join competitions, enjoy exclusive 3AW content and other benefits.


Joining is easy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Tom Elliott and Greens Leader debate necessity of Aboriginal Welcome to Country

Article image for Tom Elliott and Greens Leader debate necessity of Aboriginal Welcome to Country

The National Leader of the Greens and Tom Elliott have debated whether it is necessary to still do an Aboriginal Welcome to Country at events and conferences.

“I have to tell you, I don’t really get the Welcome to Country any more,” Tom said.

“It sort of says if you’re one of the 2.5 per cent of Australians who is Indigenous, this is your land. But that sort of ignores the other 97.5 per cent who live here.”

RDN: What, you don’t think we should do Welcome to Country at all?

TE: No I don’t actually.

RDN: Well that’s a pretty out there view. I think it’s very important. We effectively invaded what was the land of another culture and we acknowledge the past. It might not be something that you agree with but in my view this was and always will be Aboriginal land.

TE: But it’s not Aboriginal land any more.

RDN: It’s basic respect. We’re talking about the oldest living culture on earth.

Click PLAY below to hear the full details

Advertisement