Tom Elliott’s easy poached egg recipe
Tom Elliott learned this recipe on a trip to New Zealand almost 30 years ago, when he was a student.
‘It’s quite nice, it’s the same as having it cooked in water!’
- Crack the egg into a cup.
- Put a plastic lid on top of the cup.
- Put it in the microwave, on high, for 14 seconds. No more, no less.
- Take it out of the microwave; let it breathe for a brief moment.
- Then back in the microwave for 8 seconds. No more, no less.
- Place the egg back into the microwave for 6 seconds.
- Then 5 seconds.
Done! You now have a perfectly poached egg.
Tom says if you get it wrong by leaving it in for more than the seconds listed above, the egg will explode.
‘A lot of my cooking involves toasters and microwaves… I probably haven’t really moved on since my student days.’
Click PLAY below to hear Tom explain the full recipe