Two Australians dead after eating contaminated smoked salmon
The deaths of two Australians have been linked to smoked salmon, sparking concerns about contaminated fish.
Health authorities have confirmed two elderly people, one from Victoria and the other from New South Wales, have died from listeriosis which is believed to have been caused by contaminated salmon.
A third person has also been struck down with listeriosis in Queensland.
The contaminated salmon is believed to be packaged salmon sourced from Tasmania.
No specific brand of salmon has been identified.
All three people who have fallen ill were aged over 70 and had underlying health conditions.
Authorities have warned people to ensure food is handled and stored properly.
Those at highest risk, such as the elderly or pregnant women, are advised to avoid the food.