Uniquely Australian: What overseas visitors find surprising
Slang, drive-through bottle-o’s, house auctions…Australia’s a fairly unique place.
3AW Drive took to the streets of Melbourne to find out what tourists had noticed when they visit our shores.
Here’s a few:
- Australians love to abbreviate, even when it’s not necessary
- We can’t get the weather/clothing ratio right (ie wearing thongs in winter)
- If you drive the same car, we’re likely to acknowledge you and give you a head nod
- Always happy to help our foreign visitors with directions
- Drive-through bottle shops are uniquely Australian and apparently of interest
- Melbourne’s hook-turns nearly cause tourists daring enough to drive in the CBD to have nervous breakdowns
- House auctions