Victoria’s crime surges 11 per cent
Victoria’s crime rate is up 9.4 per cent, while overall offences are up 11 per cent.
The Crime Statistics Agency released the statistics with a number of offences up for the year ending 31 September.
While the government insists there’s signs of improvement, Shadow Minister for Police Edward O’Donohue says it represents a failure of the government to act on the surge in crime.
- Motor vehicle theft is up 31 per cent
- Aggravated burglaries are up 36.7 per cent
- The number of offences recorded has increased 11.6 per cent
- Assault and related offences up 12.6 per cent, serious assaults are up 5 per cent, assaults on police, emergency services and police officers has risen 4.2 per cent
- Robbery is up 21.5 per cent
- Burglary, break and enter offences increased 13.7 per cent