Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Local footballer on parole has ‘insulting’ suspension increased, AFL boss confirms

A man on parole who was handed an “insulting” three-game ban over an ugly incident on the footy field that left a teenager with a broken jaw has had that penalty increased to eight games.

He’s also since been charged by police.

Tony Lambevski told Neil Mitchell his son Sam, 17, was hit off the play during a footy match in the South West District Footy League earlier this month.

Sam was left with a broken jaw two places and fractured, decompressed cheekbone.

The player who carried out the hit had recently been released on parole and despite being found guilty at the tribunal, was handed just a three week suspension.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan confirmed on Friday the penalty had been lifted to eight games on appeal.

“That’s the system at work, Neil,” McLachlan said.

“People have different views and that feels a strong statement on appeal.”

Click PLAY below to hear the full interview

Advertisement